Why I went back to stock intake box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txfight00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I found in my aFe tube beyond the donaldson powercore. No lid on the box, but I don't think that would have made much difference:

9186899794_d4ba41e11f_n.jpg

9186891848_0945705dff_n.jpg

Went back to stock box with K&N drop in filter.
The sound of the aftermarket intake was cool, but not worth the dirt. Minimal if any performance gains just not a good tradeoff.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ditched my AFE after the metal started falling apart, and I too saw dirt in the intake pipe.

I changed to the Vollant, and not a SPEC of dust or dirt in the intake... even after running chase in the very back, in the dust, on the Land Rush 1000!

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
bstoner???

Yes!...

But in this case the Donaldson nanofiber material acts like a sponge and swells up with water. What I see in TXfigt's tube isn't so much dust but dried up dirty water spater.

OP
OP
Txfight00

Txfight00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah that could be true. But dust/dirt did get through - that's what makes it brown not white from calcium alone, right? Overall I don't think the perceived performance gains are worth the headache of worrying about this as much.
I know you have injen and love it. I'm probably going to stick with stock box/K&N until something else comes out that seems better.

Also, water shouldn't have even gotten to the filter IMO. No deep water crossings or anything that should have led to the donaldson getting wet.

Last edited:

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes I have the Injen with a Donaldson filter and without a hydroshield sock over it, it will get wet.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Ive had my airaid for 43000 miles zero.issues. Clean the filter with simple green and throw it back in. Nothing falls apart, no debris in the intake tube. All clean!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2