GEN 2 Why does this thing have to be a *************?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1.5 years of ownership, 28 k miles

-flat black exhaust tips started coming off at like 10k miles, completely gone on the passenger side now.
-red stripe on steering wheel wearing like shit
-gloss black b pillars scratched up after the first wash, toast after a few washes, they are wrapped now cause they were that bad
-paint sucks balls and scratches easily
-tires toast after 26k miles
-leaky oil pan from day 1

This bitch is disposable

- Exhaust tips seem to be a regional thing. It appears salt or road coatings wears them out quickly - not a problem down south.

- Red stripe is hit or miss. Mine is basically new but I also am mindful not to grab it. Pretty common for it to be worn out by 60-70k on the Gen 1s. This is definitely a problem, alongside the super-easy-to-scratch interior silver plastic.

- B Pillar trim is soft plastic - equivalent to soft paint. If you are scratching this, it means your wash/dry method isn't good. Watch AMMO NYC do a detail and you'll see how to avoid it. Granted, it is extremely sensitive, but you can polish them out and keep them that way if it bothers you a lot.

- I've been pretty disappointed with how quickly the paint chips, but hardness/durability is fantastic otherwise. I got maybe 3 or 4 chips total in 10 years of driving, and I got at least that many in my first year of ownership with this truck. I'm very careful to avoid things that would make me more susceptible to it, so I'm forced to conclude the combination of aluminum and modern paint isn't chip resistant. I dunno. The overall paint quality, however, is very good, at least on my truck.

- From what I've pieced together, KO2s are garbage in general and especially the Raptor version (which has a special compound that wears like shit). Looking forward to ditching them for some ST Maxx. I've heard pretty much universally they are better in every way.

- Hit or miss on the oil pan. I've been on my truck since day one, near 20k, and my plastic oil pan hasn't leaked a drop.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty surprised that no one else has mentioned the exhaust tips, mine must have been poorly coated.

The oil pan and B-pillars are pretty well known issues.

I guess mine isn't a pavement princess, but still disappointing

I've had all the same issues as yours, plus new engine at 23k miles (rod knock) and IWE valve (cheap easy fix). Currently at 30k miles. Lots of offroading, not a pavement princess. Definitely feels like a POS sometimes...

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit my exhaust with some High Temp black paint. Look like new again.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My exhaust tips made it through one Maine winter so far without any paint flaking off.
Winter #2 is coming soon. :perkinswhatever:

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck is at Ford and I mentioned the exhaust tip and they called and talked to the boss in charge of warranty, the results ended up being since it’s not a sealed paint surface (like clear coat) it’s not covered. I told him no worries just figured I would ask.

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is at Ford and I mentioned the exhaust tip and they called and talked to the boss in charge of warranty, the results ended up being since it’s not a sealed paint surface (like clear coat) it’s not covered. I told him no worries just figured I would ask.
Those tips get really hot. Seems, the passenger side more so then the the drivers.

shammer

Reaction score
I wouldn't personally call it a POS, but I have had similar issues, 35,000 miles, has been in for a transmission code, when cleared and reprogrammed it ran terrible once up to temperature, 1500 to 2000 rpms it would buck as if it had bad fuel. Just updated the software again, cleared the transmissions memory a week ago and it seems to be better. Top of the steering wheel delaminating, sunroof jams, doesn't open, going back to the dealer a week from now, exhaust tips looked bad from day one. Interior parts seems to scratch instantly. Overall, for a 18 month old 60 plus thousand dollar truck, the quality just isn't there. I usually keep my trucks for 200,000 miles but I am concerned how long I will be able to keep this one once the warranty is up. Truck has not been offroad.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE!

POS only made 312 to the wheels

Also need to make an appointment for the dealer to see what is making a grinding/rumbling noise. Sounds just like when my rear end was toast in my last f150 at 58k miles, except this one is at 31k miles.

Hooray!

Status
Not open for further replies.