Whipple pulley upgrade

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by raptor_qatar, Aug 26, 2013.

Sponsored By: GotExhaust
  1. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Full Access Member

I ran mine with a 3.25 which is 12psi (with a tune) and i was over 540whp (with crappy gas). Livernois said i was at the edge for stock internals (pistons). My engine failed, i believe the stock oil pump failed but will know more soon. The rods, cylinders, crank and pistons appear to be in good shape, boost away just be prepared to pay.

H

2. rbarn

rbarn Full Access Member

Yep, I'm running the 3.375 pulley at 10psi and tuner keeps telling me anymore and expensive stuff is going to start breaking. 500rwhp at 5,900 rpm through 100% stock exhaust

Anything over 10psi or 500rwhp and the cast pistons and rods are a ticking time bomb

The oil pump failing is a common problem on Ford OHV engines with superchargers. It rides on the crank shaft and receives serious harmonic stresses.

There is a fix to replace the internals of the pump with billet gears from a company called TSS out of Texas. They make them for the Mustang crowd. I have talked to them about the new 6.2 engine, and they have done the R&D to make a set of gears, but do not stock them and would have to fab a set on a one-off order and the price would be steep.

TSS’s Oil Pumps -Triangle Speed Shop

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  3. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

rbarn, how steep is steep? $500 is not too bad for peace of mind, IMO.

Are they saying it would be more than the selling price on their website for the Mustangs?

4. rbarn

rbarn Full Access Member

He could not give me a firm price, but it would be closer to $1k for a one-off run of a set. He did say if I could get a group buy together the price would drop exponential.

I tried to get a group buy together last year, because I knew this was going to start popping up. This oil pump design is very ingenious and compact but it is subject to some pretty extreme harmonic forces, especially with belt driven blowers

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/billet-oil-pump-gear-group-buy-16648/

5. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Thanks for the info, yeah 1K is steep.

Maybe have to wait a bit more for more SC Raptors and F-150 6.2L to pop before a group buy would work.

6. GoMuscles

GoMuscles Full Access Member

I emailed them a build request too. Hope it helps motivate them to get these built for us.

7. Ftera

Ftera Full Access Member

Any word back from that company? Hope they do this for us.

8. jazz05

jazz05 Member

doesn't Livernois make oil pump gears, Check with JDM in Jersey as well

9. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Nope only TSS is making them.

We are all calling them. If I hear something I'll post in the Billet Oil Gear thread in 6.2 Performance section.

10. BRAPPPP

BRAPPPP FRF Addict

Who tuned it?