Wheel sizing/offset question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my 2020 Raptor ordered and it should be here in about a month. I'm looking at aftermarket wheels for her but have a question for you current Raptor owners out there. Some background: Stock wheel is 17 x 9 (?) on 315/70R17... I want to remain as close as I can to stock but I really would have something bigger without it being just ridiculous. So, I'm pretty set on 20x10 on some 285/65R20s. My question is this: stock offset is 34mm, the 285/65R20s will be as near to stock as I can get - if I go with a -25mm offset or a 0 offset; am I going to have to face some rub issues without a lift or level? Anyone rolling 315/70R17 or 285/65R20 out there with a 0 or negative offset on stock suspension out there with some info/experience they're willing to share? Thanks!

Fshnrig

Reaction score
Fyi, stock wheel is 17x8.5 +34. You should avoid anything more than a 0 offset. But honestly, 20s dont quite look right on a raptor and then on top of that you want to go down to a 285? Not gonna look good at all. I realize its all personal preference but the combo youre looking at will look like ass. Why not consider a 325/65 on an 18x9 or 18x10? It is your truck and your $$ but I guarantee that a 20x10 with a 285 on it will look terrible. Why detract from one of the best looking trucks on the road? Also, most of the raptor specific designed aftermarket wheels seems to be 9" wide with around a +12 offset if that tells you anything.

OP
OP
Venerous

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently only considering the VenomRex VR602s - 20 x 9 (thank goodness I don't have to sell the Raptor I don't have yet and go pick up a Dodge! :Big Laugh:). 285's may not be the "in thing" but for ME, it's the perfect hybrid between show truck and offroad monster (I personally can't stand 5 miles of sidewall - but that's just me and my preference, to each their own). I'm keeping the stock wheels and tires by the way specifically for offroading (which is specifically why I want something as close to the same size as I can get; although it's not like I'm gonna go jumping it or crawling the Rubicon (that's what the Jeep is for). Trolls are gonna troll though.... it's just optional wheel sizes I'm talking about here, not like I'm talking about riveting a wing on the back of a Saturn SC2 and epoxying on some chrome vents. Thanks for the inputs though! :)

Fshnrig

Reaction score
Why not do a 35x12.50 on the 20x9s then? It will look a lot better than 285/65s. Stock tires are 34.4 x 12.7 if I remember right. Most 35x12.50s are generally 34.5 x 12.5. While the 285/65s are generally 34.6 x 11.50.

OP
OP
Venerous

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely right! I have considered them and still am. The 285s provide a lesser speed variation than the 35/12.5s though and from everything I've been reading here and elsewhere, the 35/12.5s also slightly rub at full lock on stock suspension which I'd like to try to avoid. Thus why I sought out anyone running either set up to get input and pictures if possible. Plenty of photos of the 35/12.5s but they're usually on Raptors with front springs or perches. I haven't committed myself or my money to one fitment yet and am open to ideas/suggestions - just like those suggestions backed up with pics and data.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2019s and 2020s sit higher when compared to 2017s and 2018s so you should not rub .... unless you run mud flaps. And if you do rub it is very slight when in reverse and in full lock.

Completely right! I have considered them and still am. The 285s provide a lesser speed variation than the 35/12.5s though and from everything I've been reading here and elsewhere, the 35/12.5s also slightly rub at full lock on stock suspension which I'd like to try to avoid. Thus why I sought out anyone running either set up to get input and pictures if possible. Plenty of photos of the 35/12.5s but they're usually on Raptors with front springs or perches. I haven't committed myself or my money to one fitment yet and am open to ideas/suggestions - just like those suggestions backed up with pics and data.

OP
OP
Venerous

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019s and 2020s sit higher when compared to 2017s and 2018s so you should not rub .... unless you run mud flaps. And if you do rub it is very slight when in reverse and in full lock.
Awesome info, thanks! I appreciate the help!

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just don’t put narrower tires on it man...