Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

Wheel Offsets Explained

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Wheels & Tires Forum [GEN 1]' started by shooterAMG, Dec 24, 2012.

Texas Motorworx
  1. Biggest

Biggest FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Offset / Tire combo

Chase, he is my question, I bought the Fuel trophy wheels. 17x 8.5. The tires I am mounting are toyo MT which are 37x13.50x17. I am putting on glass fenders as well. Will this + 6 offset be an issue?

2. Chayse

Chayse Full Access Member

I'm sorry, I can't really help you with that. 37's kinda throw the whole thing out the window. You could be alright with the glass fenders, but you may still need to do some clearancing to not rub. Guys with 37's should be able to help better. My calculations were based on stock sized tires/35's.

3. sringer

sringer Full Access Member

I knew offset and backspace really well in the jeep world and what I needed to work with my lift. However...I want a set of Spyderlocks for my raptor...I'm confused here even after reading thru everything. Spyderlocks are 10" wide and the offset is 3.5. Will this be ok with 35x12.5 nitro trail grapplers?

Sent from my iPhone5 using LTE

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Actually I was wrong...their website says offset. But it really means back spacing is 3.5. And on a 10" wide wheel...3.5" bs means -51mm offset...am I silly to put these on with 35x12.5 nitro trail graps? Will it rub?

Sent from my iPhone5 using LTE

4. shooterAMG

shooterAMG FRF Addict

So I'm going to work through this in my head as I type it.

An 8.5 inch wheel with a -12mm offset is bad if you offroad. We've all agreed on that.

12mm is about 1/2 an inch (25.4 mm in an inch)

So an 8.5 inch wheel with a 1/2 negative offset will leave 4 inches of wheel inside.

Your wheel is 10 inches with a 3.5 inch offset (assuming negative) will leave 1.5 inches inside. That doesn't sound right. If you go with the 51mm/2 inch, you'll have 3 inches inside. That sounds like it will cause a problem. Check my math and thinking, but I think it might be too much.

Todd

5. scottsteamboat

scottsteamboat Member

What does the term 'Screw" refer to?

TrukBoatTruk likes this.
  6. Rookie

Rookie Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Screw as in Supercrew
    Scab as in Supercab

7. WTXRaptor

WTXRaptor Member

Ok, so my dumb question, considering I want to run a 17" wheel and run a 35" tire, should I do the 17x9 or 17x8.5, or does it really even matter? And if so, what offset/backspace should I look for on both? I'm thinking on either the Fuel wheels or the Method wheels.

8. jcl48

jcl48 Full Access Member

Hi guys need help and Advice, since I will be buying new set of tires.
    So I bought my Fuel Mavericks 20x10 -12 offset. Unfortunately is until today I read this thread, and I am rubbing on the inner part of the fender, well was rubbing since I did a little trimming to avoid tearing out the fenders. If I decide to change my wheels what would you guys recommend 20x9 +14 offset or +1. The +1 will stick farther the tire by 1.3" than stock wheels; same 1.3" farther than stock as the Methods 17x8.5 with 0 offset.
    The 20x9 with +14 offset will stick the tire farther than stock by .8" what sould I go with if maybe in the future I would like to upgrade to a 37" Tire. As of now I am on Mid Perch running 35x12.5 R20 Nitto Trail Grapplers.

I Would like the look of the +1 offset but don't want to deal with rubbing issues on stock fenders trimmed.

9. JAH

JAH Member

I have Moto metal 20x10 with -24 offset. Obviously I did not follow the chart correctly. I am exchanging for the 20x9 with 0 offset. Will I be okay?

10. tossty

tossty Full Access Member

Awesome information. Subscribed.