Wheel corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried searching for 20 minutes.....nada

I'm getting corrosion on my rims. Id like to stop it, repair as much as possible and coat with ??? To prevent more.

I'm looking for information. What is possible and what works?

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's lots of stuff that will prevent corrosion, it just depends on how long you want it to last and how much work/effort/money you want to put into it.
1. Remove tire. Sandblast wheel and powder coat. this would be the best option to prevent corrosion but most likely the most expensive and time consuming.
2. Remove tire. Sandblast wheel and cerakote with a C series color. This would eliminate the need to bake the wheel but does require some skill and an air compressor and HVLP spray gun.
https://www.cerakote.com/
3. Leave tire on and do option 2. You would have to prep the surface with sand paper or wire wheel or something to get it clean and it wouldn't be as good as sand blasting so the adhesion wouldn't be as good so you may have to repeat every few months/years. You'd also want to mask the tire if you are spraying a color.
4. Leave tire on. Prep surface as best you can and just paint it. I'd try to use steel it or a good chassis paint with primer as opposed to some krylon or theres always the good ole plasti-dip stuff.

The key to corrosion prevention is the prep work. the more effort you put into prepping/cleaning the surface the better the coating will adhere. Powder coat will be the most durable, followed by cerakote and then paint but again its all in the prep work. If you don't prep the surface even powder coat won't last.