Water dripping from exhaust connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On cold start up the exhaust connector closest to the driver-side catalytic convertor drips what appears to be water and the exhaust makes a subtle high-pitched ticking noise. This typically happens for about 2 minutes during warm up then goes away. My hypothesis is that there is a slight exhaust leak at the exhaust clamp connector and condensation in the exhaust is dripping out and the noise I hear is the exhaust gases colliding with the water. There is nothing above this part of the exhaust that would be dripping water on it. Anyone else experience this?

20220517_112403.jpg

20220517_112412.jpg

MrLiou168

Reaction score
IMO all normal with the exception of the drip - try tightening down that clamp and see if it goes away. There will be water downstream of the catalytic converter on cold startup; this is not unique to the Raptor.

OP
OP
T

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Not concerned with the condensation but more so the leak and annoying noise at this point. I'll try to tighten the clamp later and see if it helps.

OP
OP
T

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clamp appears to be very tight but is tough to get to without removing the lower shield, which I do not feel like doing. I guess this will be a problem for Ford to figure out next time I take it in for service.

OP
OP
T

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about G3, but on the G2 there are weep holes for the water to exit. It’s designed that way and normal.
Interesting. Makes sense but it sounds like shit so is the intent that when the exhaust warms up and expands that it seals the small pinhole??

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It obviously has a slight leak there. The water is proof of it, but the black soot at that joint shows it as well.

Weep holes are usually in the mufflers, I've never seen them in the piping. There are none visible in those pictures either.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Not concerned with the condensation but more so the leak and annoying noise at this point. I'll try to tighten the clamp later and see if it helps.
So you would prefer to let the water sit in the exhaust and "potentially" rot it out? Better to have a drain hole. :cool: This is a joint so it will never be air tight. Mine drips as well.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That pipe is stainless steel. It gets plenty hot to eliminate any moisture after the truck has been driven. It won't "rot out", which is why there's no weep hole in that location.

I've not seen any exhaust piping rust through on any vehicle since the OEMs switched to SS piping back in the late 90s- and I live in the salt belt.