WARNING To Anyone Thinking About Getting A Whipple CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
#1 On your site it states "*Custom tuning may be required."
With no definition on what * is.
#2 Under (exclusive features)
Up to 15RWTRQ/10RWHP* peak gain over stock using 93 octane.
High velocity cold air intake system for unmatched airflow.
Filter flows over 132% more than stock panel filter.
Roto-molded air tube for excellent heat rejection.
Powder coated heat shield.
Cleanable filter.
Bolt-on performance, no modifications required.
Unique induction whine from Whipple intake system.
Zero cutting or modifying vehicle.
50-state emissions legal *with Whipple stage 1 system
*Power levels may vary depending on octane and operating conditions.

Now you try and sell him a $700+ PCM tune.

This is so basic and is unbelievable how far this has gone.

First, standard practice is no return on used parts therefore that will be the standard answer if requested. Understanding the hardship the customer was under, the lack of instructions stating that it may need tuning all factor into offering the customer a free cal upgrade and refund.

Second, we offer a ton of products that require tuning, as do most performance companies so that is not out of the norm. The reason the air kit is offered as is, customers that already had tunes and intercoolers were requesting it. We acknowledged and had already changed the instructions to state it requires a tune.

Third, its more confusing, it does not need a tune for performance, only for the potential code of crankcase leakage which depends on which factory cal you have. Of course, it does not have crankcase leakage so its not an actual accurate code when and if it sets. This is new technology from Ford and its only getting worse. In fact, many don't know, you can't even turn the code off which is what most companies would do. You can turn off so the light doesn't show, but the trouble code is still there internally and many times, the monitors won't run due to the pending code, which aftermarket cannot get rid of.

Fourth, it does not need physical mods which is what the website refers to as no cutting or modifying.

Many of you are jumping to conclusions and not understanding all the factors here. During testing, we used 3 other aftermarket intake systems, we tested on 6 different vehicles. On one vehicle, the code set with ALL air kits, 2 others did not but they all had different driving cycles and there were 3 different factory calibrations. The other 3 trucks had our prototype kits and 1 of the 3 set a code. All of this factored into the information we provided.

We have all learned here and therefore its a good thing but anyone even hinting toward us tricking, bait and switching or having malice in our intentions is sadly misinformed and mistaken. We've been in business 30 years, we go far beyond any other performance company to make sure customers are happy. Were here to give customers great performance, not to create head aches. Were also one of the first and longest supporting vendors to this site, were not going anywhere.

mhaynes772

Reaction score
The absolute stupidity of people in this thread is literally amazing.

Whipple didn't do anything wrong. It clearly states on their website that tuning may be required. It's up to you to research and determine if that includes you or not. Some people installing may already have tunes and won't need one to put the intake on, like Whipple said.

Not attacking the OP, but with any modification I look at doing, I extensively research, and FOR SURE, I visit the manufactures website of what Im buying if it's through a 3rd party source. ADD should have included the disclaimer on their website, also.

Whipple stepped up to the plate offering a refund or the tune for free. Personally I think you were crazy not to take the tune. Your truck is already sitting not able to be driven, shoulda sent it off. Comparing your tuned Lighning to the Raptor is a little Apples to Oranges, IMO. To each his own and I gotta respect whatever you wanna do with your own truck.

But to publicly blast Whipple because you didn't do proper research and the 3rd party source you bought it from didn't list the disclaimer that Whipple themselves list on their website, is dumb.

Last edited:

jakeO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The absolute stupidity of people in this thread is literally amazing.

Whipple didn't do anything wrong. It clearly states on their website that tuning may be required. It's up to you to research and determine if that includes you or not. Some people installing may already have tunes and won't need one to put the intake on, like Whipple said.

Not attacking the OP, but with any modification I look at doing, I extensively research, and FOR SURE, I visit the manufactures website of what Im buying if it's through a 3rd party source. ADD should have included the disclaimer on their website, also.

Whipple stepped up to the plate offering a refund or the tune for free. Personally I think you were crazy not to take the tune. Your truck is already sitting not able to be driven, shoulda sent it off. Comparing your tuned Lighning to the Raptor is a little Apples to Oranges, IMO. To each his own and I gotta respect whatever you wanna do with your own truck.

But to publicly blast Whipple because you didn't do proper research and the 3rd party source you bought it from didn't list the disclaimer that Whipple themselves list on their website, is dumb.

That's Dumb! No one stepped up at first till this blew up. The web site does not state who may or may not need a tune.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ROUSH CAI has not thrown any codes. I texted them again and they said that their new tune would be out in September... but of course it is already the middle of September. Decisions.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's Dumb! No one stepped up at first till this blew up. The web site does not state who may or may not need a tune.

It would have been addressed in time, why communications broke and took a week before the OP posted. I don't know, wasn't there.

Add's shop truck hasn't thrown any codes and Whipple stated some don't throw the code for quite a while.

And it didn't blow up in there face, this is guys like you making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Last edited:

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It would have been addressed in time, why communications broke and took a week before the OP posted. I don't know, wasn't there.

Add's shop truck hasn't thrown any codes and Whipple stated some don't throw the code for quite a while.

And it didn't blow up in there face, this is guys like you making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Yup, in all honesty, we didn't get contacted again that we are aware of. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but we don't have any record of being contacted. We can always drop the ball, were human and working 60+ hours a week but resolving this issue had little to do with this website and more to do with understanding the situation.

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this drama and over $1k of parts and tune for 'Up to' 15RWTRQ/10RWHP? :facepalm:

Or am I reading that wrong?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
We have all learned here and therefore its a good thing but anyone even hinting toward us tricking, bait and switching or having malice in our intentions is sadly misinformed and mistaken. We've been in business 30 years, we go far beyond any other performance company to make sure customers are happy. Were here to give customers great performance, not to create head aches. Were also one of the first and longest supporting vendors to this site, were not going anywhere.

I disagree
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bait and switch

but you’ve at least remedied OP.

BTW, WTF is user formerly known as sasquatch77, and a few more user accounts still active here posting so heavily in this thread for? It doesn't even own a Raptor, much less a Gen2

Right - thought this was posted here before. Going anything aftermarket seems to have a very high likelihood of throwing a CEL. Best to just stay stock. You need your warranty too.
Definitely go MPT. All other tunes are a joke
In other words, stay stock.

etc.