WARNING To Anyone Thinking About Getting A Whipple CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DRTPOSR

Reaction score
@DRTPOSA, I can't believe your turning down the free Tune offer. I'd sleep on that thought.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had a highly modified Ford Lightning and I do not want to do any significant engine mods or tunes.... My truck has now been in the shop for 2 weeks (as of tomorrow). I just want a reliable truck.... : )

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Curious how this worked out. Who gave you the refund, ADD or Whipple?

I received the following e-mail from Cole at ADD this morning:

David I have good news, Mike from Whipple got back to me & he is giving you 2 options, let me know what you would like to do.

"I have just been authorized to go ahead and take it back for a refund (minus freight) or we can go ahead and do the calibration for free (usually $720) if the customer want’s (he would have to pay freight both ways on the PCM). Let me know how you want to proceed."

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will have a reliable Tuned truck!

If I remember it's like $85 next day air (one way) with $2000 insurance from NYC for the PCM, it doesn't weight much it's like 10"x 6"x 3"

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I was done with this thread, but the follow up commentary is a little troubling.

First, “Industry standard” is exactly equal to “it’s not just good, it’s good enough”

With the clear understanding that this is not directed at you(Whipple Charged) personally, based on the known facts this thread, and what led to it is entirely your fault.

You delivered a product to market that causes a compatibility issue --and you know about it--. This information is not disclosed up front by either your reseller or your install instructions. The end user installs it, the truck throws a code and you are like :

“damn, sucks to be you. We will flash your ECU for $700 to fix it though”

That is exactly, a classic bait and switch. It’s dishonest, unethical, rude and frankly I don’t understand why more people aren’t complaining to @BIRDMAN and forum staff about this.

But wait, there’s MORE! Since the customer installed it, you won’t take it back even though you caused the compatibility issue in the first place.

Yeah, you have no business being a supporting vendor here and you should be gone. I am convinced by the initial comments in response to OP that it is only the public shaming of this thread that resulted in the remediation for this end user.

I think the FRF staff need to investigate further this bait and switch bull$hit, because others of us could end up in the same boat, and companies perpetuating this kind of disgraceful behavior shouldn’t be tolerated.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only additional thought is that there is a reasonable expectation that comes with purchasing a product from what is perceived to be a reliable, sophisticated Company.

If John Doe garage rigged up a cold air intake and started selling them.... there would not be a reasonable expectation that the product has been fully vetted with full disclosure. There would be a "buy at your own risk" assumption.

Whipple, to your credit, is a legend in the industry and nearly a household name. You expect that what you buy from Whipple is going to be as bullet proof as buying an IPhone from Apple. You expect that you will have full disclosure

I was done with this thread, but the follow up commentary is a little troubling.

First, “Industry standard” is exactly equal to “it’s not just good, it’s good enough”

With the clear understanding that this is not directed at you(Whipple Charged) personally, based on the known facts this thread, and what led to it is entirely your fault.

You delivered a product to market that causes a compatibility issue --and you know about it--. This information is not disclosed up front by either your reseller or your install instructions. The end user installs it, the truck throws a code and you are like :

“damn, sucks to be you. We will flash your ECU for $700 to fix it though”

That is exactly, a classic bait and switch. It’s dishonest, unethical, rude and frankly I don’t understand why more people aren’t complaining to @BIRDMAN and forum staff about this.

But wait, there’s MORE! Since the customer installed it, you won’t take it back even though you caused the compatibility issue in the first place.

Yeah, you have no business being a supporting vendor here and you should be gone. I am convinced by the initial comments in response to OP that it is only the public shaming of this thread that resulted in the remediation for this end user.

I think the FRF staff need to investigate further this bait and switch bull$hit, because others of us could end up in the same boat, and companies perpetuating this kind of disgraceful behavior shouldn’t be tolerated.

jakeO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how offering a free calibration is a "shit show".

#1 On your site it states "*Custom tuning may be required."
With no definition on what * is.
#2 Under (exclusive features)
Up to 15RWTRQ/10RWHP* peak gain over stock using 93 octane.
High velocity cold air intake system for unmatched airflow.
Filter flows over 132% more than stock panel filter.
Roto-molded air tube for excellent heat rejection.
Powder coated heat shield.
Cleanable filter.
Bolt-on performance, no modifications required.
Unique induction whine from Whipple intake system.
Zero cutting or modifying vehicle.
50-state emissions legal *with Whipple stage 1 system
*Power levels may vary depending on octane and operating conditions.

Now you try and sell him a $700+ PCM tune.

D

Deleted member 12951

Agree...

When you modify, you are doing at your own risk. Pay to play.... good luck!

Actually to see Whipple actually jump in here to even respond is amazing. Means they still are not to big to no longer care.

There has to be a degree of research that has to go on before things are purchased. With the Internet at our fingertips, its not that hard. I mean I was thinking of putting a CAI on my GT500 but just after a little research found I would need a tune so backed off. I understand that CAI's on this truck is new and bleeding edge mods and we are learning.

I commend the OP for posting to let others know and for Whipple to step up. I am sure they did nothing of the sort intentionally but perhaps this thread will get Whipple and ADD to inform their customers better. So that is a good thing. Sometimes you get busy in business and because its your business you forget that not everyone doesn't know or expect what you know.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you guys think that the Raptor is the only vehicle base for Whipple your sadly mistaken.
Every problem does not always go to the top in any cooperation.
Whipple has gone out of it's way to take care of us Gen 1 Raptor owners and I'm sure they will for Gen 2.

Everything has to go through channels, are there hiccups along the way, always does and always will happen.

You nit pickers that thrive on drama, get a freaking life!!!!!!!!

And your right @RDFTS, Whipple does have a soft spot for the Raptor.

Last edited:

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great to see members here are looking out for each other, if i were the OP i'd be appreciative of that.

That all aside, whipple had no obligation to be involved directly here. This was an issue that should have gone to ADD and ADD work it out with Whipple. All should note of them taking to time to come post here and stepping up when they had no obligation too. The lynch mob torches were being lit, and honestly he had not choice to handle add's problem or it would blow up in their face. I hope he sticks around to provide support after getting semi railroaded here after seeing the two threads and the ridiculous comments within.

stepping out further, most of these CAI will all throw a code. Ppl here may be using them with no issues, but you should expect to see one without a tune to clear it. This is nothing new, pretty common on many other platforms. I've seen it first hand with the raptor cais from S&B, aFe, and INJEN. Of the (2) S&B kits we saw with the issue, one has run it ever since with wrench w/o issue, the other S&B refunded (bought directly from them though).

I run a diff tune so have no skin in the game, but if your buying aftermarket mods for a new platform you really gotta do a little homework before going ballistic. Sad, but this is becoming pretty common with the new wave of owners here