Used 2021 vs 2020 purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dMM0811

Reaction score
Hey, new prospective raptor owner here.

I currently have my options narrowed down between a 2021 lead foot grey and a 2020 black raptor.

The 2020 has 49k miles, and they’re giving me $5k for my sonata, not sure I could get that off the private market.

The 2021 is going for $76k and if (big IF) sold the sonata for $5k, I’d only be out of pocket $6k for down payment and $5k on finance.

I need some rational thought because I’m starting to feel like I’m punching out of my league into the 2021 range. But all the features, and 29k miles definitely seems nice. I attached a spreadsheet for a visual breakdown.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 12.08.27 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 12.08.27 PM.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 25

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.
Numerically, the extra monthly I think easily justifies the ’21. OTOH, why isn’t the ’21 cheaper? You’ll need to paint over the primer grey :p

Maintenance history !! which truck has the better maintenance records?
do either come without the twin panel moonroof ? No moonroof Raptors are as rare as hens teeth

OP
OP
D

dMM0811

Reaction score
It’s not just $80/month more. It’s also 7k more down payment and then requires the sale of a car at $5k. Lots of balls up in the air with that.

I appreciate the feedback. Love the forum, used the search function a frick ton haha

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, new prospective raptor owner here.

I currently have my options narrowed down between a 2021 lead foot grey and a 2020 black raptor.

The 2020 has 49k miles, and they’re giving me $5k for my sonata, not sure I could get that off the private market.

The 2021 is going for $76k and if (big IF) sold the sonata for $5k, I’d only be out of pocket $6k for down payment and $5k on finance.

I need some rational thought because I’m starting to feel like I’m punching out of my league into the 2021 range. But all the features, and 29k miles definitely seems nice. I attached a spreadsheet for a visual breakdown.

Any thoughts?
I have had both and the 2021 has much more going on than the 2020 to justify the cost. Both are great trucks but the 2021 is just a better experience in my opinion. I will say though I have always felt a vehicle causing a financial strain is a bad move. If the 2020 allows you to be financially comfortable and the 2021 does not, then go with the 2020. Either one is going to be a heck of an upgrade from a sonata.

OP
OP
D

dMM0811

Reaction score
I have had both and the 2021 has much more going on than the 2020 to justify the cost. Both are great trucks but the 2021 is just a better experience in my opinion. I will say though I have always felt a vehicle causing a financial strain is a bad move. If the 2020 allows you to be financially comfortable and the 2021 does not, then go with the 2020. Either one is going to be a heck of an upgrade from a sonata.
I really appreciate that wisdom. Our boys start private school in the fall so I may should have mentioned that. That’s some of the discomfort from losing $7,000 in cash reserves. I may save up a bit more, there’ll be some more ‘21’s hitting the market.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need some rational thought ...
I don't think so. You want a Raptor. You have to finance it. That's not rational. What you really want is rationalization. Rational would be to keep the Sonata, save your pennies, and pay cash for a Raptor two years from now. It's better to receive interest than to pay it, especially at today's rates. It also allows time for the effects of the supply chain squeeze to work through the system which will cause the price of used cars to fall. This is still a far from ideal time to buy a car. All that said, get the '21. Worth it for the suspension upgrade.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not just $80/month more. It’s also 7k more down payment and then requires the sale of a car at $5k. Lots of balls up in the air with that.

I appreciate the feedback. Love the forum, used the search function a frick ton haha
You can’t take it with you. Yolo