Upper control arms and tie rods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DrifterGTR

DrifterGTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better BBQ in TX than AZ/CO too ;) I agree with murph145 and others about the Geiser springs (or like RPG collars to firm up the front end), Deavers, and bumps, but it sounds to me (again just opinion, on the internet no less) like you'd be better off without the UCA's and tie rods right now and instead look at a tune and/or intercooler, and maybe brake upgrade since you're fond of the skinny pedal. Unless you approach El Paso (I wouldn't recommend it lol!) you're not going to be hitting a lot of whoops or jumps as often as sprinting between sweepers and long flat wide open runs...

Good luck and let us know what you go for.

Right now I'm thinking about the Geiser's , Deaver +3's ( or 4's HD ) And an appropriate drop shackle , And I'm not sure which way to go with the bumps. I like the way the RPG's look , but the Rouges are available with King bumps. I suppose it's all about even in the end though. I do know I want to run 4 inch bumps . Might as well get the extra travel since the cost is roughly the same. As for the UCA's, tie rods and suspension in general; I know that I'm already deciding on a bumper and intercooler kit. I may get a winch capable bumper, but I'm not sure if that is really a need or a want. My last truck had one. I think I used it twice, but it was nice knowing it was available. But if i keep the stock bumper I will just go with the full race intercooler in black with the radar relocation kit. Tune wise I'm waiting to see some reviews for Gearhead, MPT and Switzer before I pull the trigger on that. Ideally I would like a tune that can adjust to the octane I have in the tank at any given time. I'm not fond of being limited by having a 91 octane tune when I have 93 in the tank or any variation of that. So if anyone knows of a tuner that has a multi octane tune that can give me a good kick in the pants. please pass that info along.

So, I've given some thought as to which way I want to go long term. But i will admit that suspension has never been my forte. And I always appreciate the opinions and experience of others. My grandfather always said it's not what you know , but who you know that counts. And I'm coming out of the south. We have zero whoops, and very few jumps. sown here in the south.

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Icon has a bump system coming you guys might want to wait to get a look at if you don't need one right away.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icon has a bump system coming you guys might want to wait to get a look at if you don't need one right away.

Waiting for my deavers to get delivered.
I went with +2HD and I have the SVC bump kit with Fox IFP, another kit to check out and to me is the most adjustable of the bunch.

Will most likely get the SVC intercooler as well and a custom tune via HPTuners.

Our driving sounds similar and I want to be able to have weight in the bed always as well as tow occasionally.

R1 concepts BBK eight piston/380mm front and six piston/356mm rear on order but I do not expect them to arrive until mid July. That’s the only reason I’m trying 20” Rotiform Or-six with Nitto Ridge Grapplers which have been awesome and so far enough sidewall for my use. Probably not good for Baja though...

I can feel the additional wheel and tire weight which is an obvious negative in high speed handling so the combination of springs and weight savings on the brakes will help some. The trucks are definitely lighter sprung in comparison to the previous gen and I ran 18” method nv’s with Ko2’s

Last edited:

BushwiickBill

Reaction score
Anyone upgrade their upper control arms and have some feedback on if it was worth it or not? Besides the added strength/durability was there noticeable benefit? Looks I could care less about but if there is added benefit off-roading then I'll upgrade them when upgrade the rest of my suspension.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this may have been mentioned but when you do your suspension and likely raise the front a couple of inches the stock UCA
is in a vulnerable position being at height that stresses the ball joint

ProfZeus

Reaction score
@BushwiickBill - The primary driver for many people upgrading the UCA's is related to the LCA slot. Fixing the LCA into place (and reinforcement) provides a substantial benefit to keeping your alignment in place when wheeling (having to get the alignment corrected routinely gets very frustrating). After fixing the LCA there still has to be a way to adjust the alignment, which is where the UCA upgrade comes in with an adjustable UCA. Otherwise, yes they do also provide improved strength/durability, plus they look awesome.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't read through so forgive me if it was said, but if you upgrade UCA's and tie rods, you should gusset or do the knuckle/spindle also or out creates a weak point.

BushwiickBill

Reaction score
@BushwiickBill - The primary driver for many people upgrading the UCA's is related to the LCA slot. Fixing the LCA into place (and reinforcement) provides a substantial benefit to keeping your alignment in place when wheeling (having to get the alignment corrected routinely gets very frustrating). After fixing the LCA there still has to be a way to adjust the alignment, which is where the UCA upgrade comes in with an adjustable UCA. Otherwise, yes they do also provide improved strength/durability, plus they look awesome.

That makes a lot of send ProfZeus! Do most alignment shops know how to adjust alignment using the upper control arms? I beat up my Gen 1 pretty good out here in the NV desert and it had upgraded 3.0s, bumps and Deavers but I never did uppers or tie rod. I could have gotten lucky but never had to realign except for when I upgraded the suspension. Now, my 19 only as 2500 miles with just under 1k of that on the dirt and my alignment is already off just slightly. So I'm thinking now it may be a good idea now. Appreciate the info!

D

Deleted member 12951

That makes a lot of send ProfZeus! Do most alignment shops know how to adjust alignment using the upper control arms? I beat up my Gen 1 pretty good out here in the NV desert and it had upgraded 3.0s, bumps and Deavers but I never did uppers or tie rod. I could have gotten lucky but never had to realign except for when I upgraded the suspension. Now, my 19 only as 2500 miles with just under 1k of that on the dirt and my alignment is already off just slightly. So I'm thinking now it may be a good idea now. Appreciate the info!

That’s the problem. No alignment shops near me know how to align from the upper, let alone how to adjust the ICON UCA that allows you to adjust while on the truck.

BushwiickBill

Reaction score
That’s the problem. No alignment shops near me know how to align from the upper, let alone how to adjust the ICON UCA that allows you to adjust while on the truck.

Yeah, glad you confirmed that RDFTS. Be a good idea to find a shop that can before replacing them!