Upper Ball Joints :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LugNutz069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I drill a hole in my upper ball joints and put a grease fitting in it? I'm getting tired of replacing UCA!!! :mad:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems like a tough job if you cant completely dissasemble it. You will have to clean out all the metal shavings, somehow get a drill bit through the casing without damaging the ball and also get a tap in there to thread for the zerk. How many UCA have you gone through?
Aftermarket UCA might be an option but you can consider uniballs a "regular maintenance item".

OP
OP
LugNutz069

LugNutz069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last set I put on were MOOG about 60,000 ago. (my 1st set, 2nd owner) The LF seems to be the problem child. It already has play in it, and the inside of my tires is getting chewed on both sides. They are just such a PITA to replace. A grease fitting would be nice. I haven't been able to locate any that already have them. I think one of my LBJ's is bad now as well, (squeaks when turning) My wife wants the "status symbol" I personally would like a 350.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odd that the MOOGs aren’t greasable when they usually are on most vehicles. Proforged doesn’t offer a UCA for the Raptor either.

Reaction score
Hi, I replaced the LBJ with Moog " problem solver" joints, they have more angular travel and grease fittings, have not gone too far on them, but all reports are they work great. I would replace uppers with a whole new UCA with a ball joint that has a grease fitting. Scott

20190822_175234.jpg

20190814_125210.jpg

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I need new uppers on the 2010. When the day comes I will drill into the top one of the old ones and see if it is suitable for a zerk. Hell, may just do it now with it still on the truck and see if it will limp along for a bit, out of morbid curiosity.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am not aware of an OEM design UCA that is greaseable. But the ICON UCA with the Delta Joint is zerk greaseable. Theirs is recommended to grease every 3k miles. I personally grease them at each oil change as I do those at 5k. The Delta Joint's typically last 5 years (depending on use) and is relatively easy to replace without having to remove the UCA if using their install tool adapter and shim.

We sell them and it is what I run on my raptor.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi, I replaced the LBJ with Moog " problem solver" joints, they have more angular travel and grease fittings, have not gone too far on them, but all reports are they work great. I would replace uppers with a whole new UCA with a ball joint that has a grease fitting. Scott

View attachment 138746

View attachment 138747

You by chance running the KHC Coil over Conversion Buckets with that setup of GEN2 shocks on a GEN1?