Uplifter fuse issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haroldper23

Reaction score
I just installed 2 1.5 amp led lights to switch 3, the fuse was rated 10 amp, the fuse holds a second component and keep blowing on me, i tried 20 and 30 amp and it did the same, does any body knows how to prevent or fix this issue.
2018 2 Gen

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Haroldper23

Reaction score
Lights are grounded, harnes its not shorting.
Im running 2 positives and 1 negative, the other is for switch 4 and its not giving me issues; bed custom lights.
The only thing i could think to do is to run a relay for the lights to separete the load of the second component.

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sound like you have a shorted LED. What brand of lights do you have and have you checked the resistance on them? One of my cheap Chinese LEDs failed with a dead short and was blowing the fuse on switch 2. Replaced the light and no more problems.

No way your fuse should be blowing with two 1.5A lights.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early on, I noticed my 17 upfitters to be much more finicky with fuses than on my Gen1. Easiest solution is to buy a relay panel to bump them all to 30a/35a. DIY solution, add relays to them all.

One option isn the LVJ panel, mounts right in the nook beside the battery and fender. More pics on their site, think i have some mounted images in my build

5EE92D88-F259-4DEF-ACDB-80BC8D3B49BB_zps93vztbxv.jpg

grumble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed 2 1.5 amp led lights to switch 3, the fuse was rated 10 amp, the fuse holds a second component and keep blowing on me, i tried 20 and 30 amp and it did the same, does any body knows how to prevent or fix this issue.
2018 2 Gen

Your fuses are blowing and doing exactly what they were meant to do.

There are 3 possible options:
  1. your wiring job is faulty and somewhere you have a wire shorted to ground. (most likely)
  2. your device is faulty and has an internal short.
  3. The upfitter relay box has a fault (least likely)

Should be fairly easy to troubleshoot by:
  1. validating that the device works properly when taking existing wiring and upfitter out of play. If bad, problem solved.
  2. checking every place where you installed wiring. It could be a bad/improper connection or the power wire could have the insulation scratched/cut/chafed and is shorting against the body
  3. If none of those resolve the issue, try connecting to a known-good upfitter switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter