GEN 2 Twin panel Moonroof .....or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 17 Raptor has the Panorama Moon Roof. I have 5000 miles and not a single squeek. I have not done any hard core off roading yet. For those having issues, is your suspension stock or lifted? Just wondering. Yes I can see torsional frame twisting causing squeeking around the cutout. There are cases of the whole glass exploding on Subarus, Toyotas, & VW's. Havent heard anything like that happening on Fords or Raptors though.

My Raptor already had the Panorama Roof when I found her. If I had special ordered I prolly would have spent the $1,200 on something else. To me, its a Nice to Have option not a Must Have. Its too hot to open in summer, too cold in winter but nice in spring and fall for natural ventilation options. My Grand Daughter always makes me open the shade so she can see the sky. She loves it!

Brycicles

Reaction score
Question for anyone who's been to Raptor Assault, do those trucks have sunroofs? I have less than an inch of headroom in mine and am concerned about room with a helmet.

Squrtcap

Reaction score
Brycicles,

The Raptors they had last year ‘17 and ‘18 models had no sunroof. This year all new 2019 Raptors. You may assume that they will not have sunroof.
With the new driving mode and suspension changes, the program may have also become modified.
Raptor Assault used only Supercrews and had no jumping or airborne in the program.
Ford Performance has final say on the driving part , the ‘19s have the new auto suspension and braking in rockcrawl mode. Give them a call to be sure on fittment of helmet and clearance.

Last edited:

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clearly a 50/50 issue based on preference. But the issue here is quality... I have had plenty of twin panel moonroofs in other higher quality vehicles and no issues to speak of. Its abundantly clear that the Ford moonroofs have a history of reliability issues from annoying sounds, to leaks, to functional failures... and is appears that they have not resolved the issues in the latest models. It has to come down to an informed decision based on pros and cons.

Pros:
1. Open roof feeling... openness, airflow, Spring/Summer fun.
2. Additional headroom.
3. Resale appeal? It seems preference is 50/50, but can those who prefer no moonroof be OK with one, and visa versa.

Cons:
1. Reliability... rattles, leaks, failures.
2. Cost... $1500 option, maybe another $150 to ceramic tint it? Will only recoup ~$500-750 on resale.
3. Cost... repairs after the short standard 3yr warranty, or the cost to extent the warranty.
4. Additional solar heat in the cabin.
5. Less Structural Rigidity... leads to more cabin creaks, and rattles down the road.
6. Safety... a large moonroof may be considered less safe in a rollover situation.

TRUEFF

Reaction score
On my 3rd Ford Truck with a twin panel. I guess I am lucky?...I have never experienced a quality issue. Based on my experience I would never buy a Ford truck without one.

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for anyone who's been to Raptor Assault, do those trucks have sunroofs? I have less than an inch of headroom in mine and am concerned about room with a helmet.
Here's a video from Raptor Assault showing one of the trucks at 3:27 with a moonroof.

Taxi Lab

Reaction score
It's a must have for our family. Our Oxford White 2019 has the moonroof and the family loves it. Our 2018 Audi Q7 has a moonroof and our Porsche is a cabriolet so we're a family that clearly likes open roofs. The only car we have that doesn't have a moonroof is our MINI and we miss having the option. Our previous MINI had one and we won't opt out ever again. In the end it really depends on ones lifestyle and how you're using your Raptor. Mine won't be getting air anytime soon and is our family RV for camping and on/off road tripping with our two kids and two labs. Snugtop Rebel and Bedrug get installed tomorrow!