GEN 2 turbos and oil catch cans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oris19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Glad it worked... I'll have to check out the sound after I hook mine up then. doin mine tomorrow. About how long did it take you to hook everything up?

foo.c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Glad it worked... I'll have to check out the sound after I hook mine up then. doin mine tomorrow. About how long did it take you to hook everything up?

Probably 2 hours, but it could be done in much less time.

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm happy to hear you guys got that sorted. I was planning on getting the same system. Just holding off a little longer in case they release additional updates (a pre-drilled intake was already mentioned, etc)

Keep us posted with what you collect over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foo.c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it might be more work to completely replace the intake tube than it is to drill it. I tried to remove it and it seemed like I would have to another tube also. I couldn't pull it all the way out.

If you loosen the clamps at both ends of it you can pop it off the turbo and the rest of the intake tube and rotate it up. Then I drilled the hole, blew it out with compressed air, shook it, blew it out, shook it, blew it out (you get the idea), and finally reconnected it.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the UPR can today fairly easily. Seems like a quality setup, which it should be for what it costs.

I don't like the fact that you can't use the engine cover though. (I didn't realize that before I bought it.)

The clean line goes right where the stud for the cover is or I think I could make it work with a little bit of trimming on the cover. I am going to call them and see if they will send me a new hose without the right angle bend there.

I am at 1.6k miles going to do my next oil change at 3k. We'll see what shows up then.

Foo....where are the pictures man!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foo.c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, hoses swapped. Engine cover is back on. All is good. I apologize to UPR. :)

I have about 100 miles on the catch can so I figured while I was in there messing with it that I would open the valve and see what came out.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Z7What

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont own a Gen2 or a Ecoboost F-150. But i have run Oil Separators on every vehicle i have owned for the last 10years(03 F-150 with a Lightning Motor, 07 2.3L Ranger, 01 2.5L Ranger and 2013 F150 5.0L) and every single one catches something. Some more than others but they all catch something! I have sent oil samples from my 13 F150 at two different times, one during the cooler months of the year and one during the warmer months. The results showed alot of "crap". Im currently on my work computer so i dont have the pictures of the results but ill get one posted up today!

For anyone that says you dont need it because of the dual injection or for any other reason i think they need to look at the big picture here. The PCV system is designed to vent crank case pressure which just so happens to carry oil mist with it. This oil is introduced into your intake and then into the combustion chamber where it is burnt off. Great idea right? Not so much if you ask me, the reason is because this oil can LOWER your octane. So if your tuned for lets say 93 and its lower this could lead to issues.

It also keeps the intake track clean, catches the oil before getting into the intercooler which coats the inside of the intercooler and makes it less efficient.

Wayne

Last edited: