Tuners & Transmissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer(s):

1. As a fellow automotive/motorsports enthusiast, I mod my “garage queens”—but tend to NOT modify drivetrains in my wife’s/my daily drivers and family vehicles which rack up a lot of miles. My Raptor is my daily driver, pack mule, and toy for my adult kids who enjoy borrowing it—and not a performance vehicle.

2. My perspective is solely based on my current engineering background/experience—and biases which result (objective/subjective) in a professional career with an OEM where I do my level best to stay on top of “cat and mouse” technologies that can detect/attempt to erase trace evidence of drivetrain modifications on vehicles under warranty (especially on expensive components). Paradoxically, at my company—very few customers tend to modify the off-road capable vehicles we develop until they are well out of warranty (mall crawling isn’t hard on components).

3. I 100% understand that for some, their Raptor may be a daily driver—and/or a vehicle that they wish to minimize the risk of drivetrain damage while under OEM factory/extended drivetrain warranty. Conversely, there are others who want to wring as much out of an aftermarket modified system as possible—and are comfortable with ignoring the ecosystem based OEM engineering parameters.

NOTE: The folks who wish to minimize risk in #3 are whom I imagine this article link may resonate. I am NOT trying to discourage aftermarket modifications, and only sharing a vetted perspective gained from those far smarter and more specialized than I. I am a fellow motorsports enthusiast who loves the aftermarket—but understands the risk/reward. Technology exists to delete a tune and restore to stock, but am excited by the future where as OEMs will use existing/evolving technology to protect financial interests by monitoring/identifying component lifecycles/usage patterns—including history of mod/restore/erase footprint—in addressing escalated OEM warranty claims for alleged drivetrain issues.

4. Please note, the below article applies to GM transmissions, but the fundamental concepts broadly apply to all major OEM transmissions (and aftermarket repairers/rebuilders/modifiers).

5. Catching modifications protects not only the OEM, but the consumer who should be able to assess whether a used vehicle has been tuned—despite attempts to erase.

In closing, our Raptor 10spds are factory rated to 590 lb/ft of torque, which does not provide much room for those who mod their Raptor engines for significant TQ increases.

IF I were to add engine power to my Raptor, I’d definitely spend money strengthening the transmission—which renders warranty moot.

As always, enjoy your vehicles and have a nice weekend!

https://atracom.blob.core.windows.net/gears/2012/2012-03/2012_3_20.pdf

Last edited: