Tundra to Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Bastaki

Reaction score
i was offroading with a tundra last week. if you do the essential mods; the mid perch and the stage 3 from rpg. you are unbeatable and youve got a stronger rig.

the tundra did not have the stability i had.. the bed kept bouncing around and it would skid all the time. whereas my truck.. esp. in offroad mode.. would not skid. and i drove with the stability program off. not even in sport mode.. just off. The tundra got stuck 4 times. I only got stuck once, because i didn't air down right. my tyres were at 15-18psi. i shouldve went down to 12... super soft sand.

i was pretty pissed then at my truck, but now that ive got the dealer (finally) to support the mods that ought to be done... its a way better ride. atleast now it is what i expected it to be.

p.s. I did end up towing the tundra out of a tricky area that it got stuck in.

GvegasRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will not have any regrets thats for sure except in the pocket from all the mods you want to add!! Its one bad ass truck!

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the Tundra, but we moved from a Lexus LX470, which was a great truck, but expensive as hell to maintain (e.g. $850 for a starter motor R&R, etc.). As far as power goes, the 6.2 screams. I am happy as a pig in shit with my purchase, and I love it every time I drive it. I am still shocked at how many people give me the thumbs up and come over to ask about it and compliment on the truck...no way you are just blending into traffic in a Raptor. Pull the trigger, you won't be disappointed.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But even then that issue can easily be resolved via air bump stops and/or springs. Most trucks, this could make others look the other way but in a raptor, it's worth having and when in need. We have most of the aftermarket to go to for these little revisions.

OP
OP
F

FatalRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. The reality is I'm hoping this truck will be nice on a daily basis as it will be my daily driver. My Tundra is fine, some personal irritations for me like the obtrusive traction control. Forget to turn it off while pulling into traffic with the slightest of wheel spin and the truck practically stops! Any quality issues or small irritations that bother anyone about the Raptor?

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We all wish we didn't have to turn them safety features off each time restarting the truck but I believe that feature might be due to safety reasons. Like if u get out your truck and u forget to turn traction on and you spin out, Not good. When safety is on the line, always best to forget your safe than not and be in a bind.
What I can tell you that youll LOVE going from the tundra to raptor IS THE GAS PEDAL, lol. Them tundra's crazy sensitivity is none sense. U hit a bump/dip in the tundra without watching the pedal, the low end just slams u back/forth in the seat. Rest assured you won't have to babysit the throttle on these bad beasts as far as sensitivity goes.
You'll also enjoy the tightness of steering in the raptor. A lot better feed back in the road. Gives u better feel for any terrain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FatalRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all wish we didn't have to turn them safety features off each time restarting the truck but I believe that feature might be due to safety reasons. Like if u get out your truck and u forget to turn traction on and you spin out, Not good. When safety is on the line, always best to forget your safe than not and be in a bind.
What I can tell you that youll LOVE going from the tundra to raptor IS THE GAS PEDAL, lol. Them tundra's crazy sensitivity is none sense. U hit a bump/dip in the tundra without watching the pedal, the low end just slams u back/forth in the seat. Rest assured you won't have to babysit the throttle on these bad beasts as far as sensitivity goes.

You are absolutely correct about the Tundra's sensitive gas pedal. My wife was driving me home after I drank too much one day last winter and we got almost completely sideways because she wasn't used to the sensitive throttle. Needless to say it sobered me up!

claustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from a 2011 Tundra TRD Rock Warrior crew cab with an "HD" package (factory anti-sway bar, extra leafs, flares) to the Raptor, and believe me, you won't regret it. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Tundra. It's a great truck for the money, but the Raptor is on another level. Now I've actually found that the Tundra seemed quicker when hitting the gas, but like others have said, it's mostly due to the touchier throttle. I also think the Raptor's weight and larger tires add to the seemingly slower throttle feel, but its "learning" computer probably has something to do with it in my case too. I generally try to be gentle on the gas coming out of stops, so the computer has learned this and any time I actually mash the gas it kinda seems to hesitate before it kicks in.

Dude you WILL NOT regret buying a Raptor. I really enjoyed driving my Tundra, but every time I get in my Raptor, I get happy. Sometimes i just stand there and admire it for a minute. The only thing that has sucked for me is the towing capacity. I'm thinking about an RPG kit to beef it up a little so it can better handle a toy hauler. It hauls my ultra lite camper trailer no problem though.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. The reality is I'm hoping this truck will be nice on a daily basis as it will be my daily driver. My Tundra is fine, some personal irritations for me like the obtrusive traction control. Forget to turn it off while pulling into traffic with the slightest of wheel spin and the truck practically stops! Any quality issues or small irritations that bother anyone about the Raptor?

Not any quality issues from my standpoint, i am very impressed with the build quality and reliability, and super-impressed with how capable the truck is off-road. What aggrivates me from time to time are the nanny controls on the throttle/wheel spin. Sometimes, I would like to just turn everything off and do a effing burnout and I haven't figured out how to hold my face right yet to get it to do it. I don't think is unique to the Raptor, I blame it on the Gubbermint.

I was bugged when I first bought the truck because my wife would give me "the look" when I jumped on it on an on-ramp and the truck would kick down into 2nd and just the sound of this awesome motor sucking volumes of petrol would bug her... now, I just slip into "M" and manually down/up shift...works awesome. On the towing front, I pull a 5500 lb boat with 500lb's tongue and it is a super stable towing platform, does an incredible job. If I was regularly towing over the 8000 capacity, I would go superduty or cummins megacab anyway.

Last edited: