TRX engine is already on its way out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W1N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"In a January 26 interview with CNBC, Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis admitted that the Hellcat engine, a version of which powers the Ram TRX, is an endangered species due to mounting compliance costs. He expects to maintain Hellcat performance with smaller, more efficient, partially electrified drivetrains. So, with the TRX as we know it on its way out, how great is the pressure for the Raptor to trump the 2021 TRX's horsepower and torque figures?"

So it's better get used to more sophisticated, lighter and advanced engines now. V8's are for movies and video games.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a sign of the times and it's been known for a long time, al vehicles will be carbon free in the next couple of decades, there will still be hot rodders and car shows, so no worries, can still see and hear the rumbles of a v8.

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, all we need to do is look at the evolution of Formula 1. In the 80's the turbo V6 was used by a few teams, over the V8. The turbo V6 greatly out performed the V8 with the technology advancements. Now ALL F1 teams use a turbo charged 1.6L V6. Racing technology always paves the performance path.

V8s sound badass. I have never experienced performance increases on-road or off-road due to the quality of sound. I will likely own a V8 again in a classic car. But to think that the V8 isn't on its way out is naive.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, all we need to do is look at the evolution of Formula 1. In the 80's the turbo V6 was used by a few teams, over the V8. The turbo V6 greatly out performed the V8 with the technology advancements. Now ALL F1 teams use a turbo charged 1.6L V6. Racing technology always paves the performance path.

V8s sound badass. I have never experienced performance increases on-road or off-road due to the quality of sound. I will likely own a V8 again in a classic car. But to think that the V8 isn't on its way out is naive.
back in racing school 20+ years ago they were turbo charged 2.6 liter cars.

i too believe the v8 is here to stay, for at least a while. there will always be the need to tow heavy equipment. and while the turbos are great for making power, the downside is the heat generated. imagine a turbo v6 towing a large load uphill for a couple miles with the turbo spooling the whole time to generate the power needed. the amount of heat would be insane. while diesels are the main towing trucks, there will always be those people and companies that dont want diesel. so i see the v8 sticking around

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So FCA is chasing Ford. Tell me again why Ford decided to chase FCA? Is this a circle jerk or what?
They haven't yet. I've seen all this hype from Ford before about a big bad powerful v8 and then it gets squashed. I will believe the R will be more powerful when I see it. I don't live my life wishing on fairy tales. It will be a limited market if it makes it to the assembly line and my pockets are deep enough for that.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make enough money on these that they can buy credits or give away Fiats to offset.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a sign of the times and it's been known for a long time, al vehicles will be carbon free in the next couple of decades, there will still be hot rodders and car shows, so no worries, can still see and hear the rumbles of a v8.

No one has a crystal ball to see where we will be in the next couple decades. We were supposed to be in flying cars by now. Obviously, things change. The obvious possibility that will effect the current electrification trend is that battery tech isn't able to keep up with demand, disposal costs and environmental impact are not received well, etc. Others have claimed hydrogen power is the future.

It's definitely fair to say electrification is the direction we are headed, and nothing wrong with preparing from that immediate future. But I would not be too shock if no one owns a fully electric/battery vehicle in 2040.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one has a crystal ball to see where we will be in the next couple decades. We were supposed to be in flying cars by now. Obviously, things change. The obvious possibility that will effect the current electrification trend is that battery tech isn't able to keep up with demand, disposal costs and environmental impact are not received well, etc. Others have claimed hydrogen power is the future.

It's definitely fair to say electrification is the direction we are headed, and nothing wrong with preparing from that immediate future. But I would not be too shock if no one owns a fully electric/battery vehicle in 2040.
sorry, i love my stereo too much to go electric. i would get about 5 miles. need to go nuclear instead. be an interesting wreck though.....