Truth behind tunes and hardware upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TallVol

Reaction score
Sorry for the clickbait title... Thought it might grab a few more replies.
I'm a new owner and new to the forums. I've searched and read (almost borderline psychotically), regarding hardware & software upgrades for the gen 2 raptors, and not just here - all over the Google. Specifically tunes and IC +/- cai upgrades. It sounds like an upgraded cai isn't going to be much of a performance upgrade, so Im focused on the IC at this point.
I'm in healthcare, so I'm not an expert, or super competent with mechanical/electrical things, but I can learn and semi understand stuff.

After research, I just purchased a ngauge and tunes from mpt. Based on everything I've read, they are one of the most recommended tuners that makes the raptor "a totally different truck". I know there are others that are highly regarded, but for my first tune ever, they seemed like the best choice for me now. I plan on getting the 93prx, 91 tow, and probably the any octane tune.

I have been told before that I have a lead foot & I need to slow down, that was in a 2017 3.5 lariat screw without tune... I'm sure it's worse now. I do enjoy "spirited driving" often, and am mostly (~95%) on road driving. My off roading will be limited mostly to hunting stuff (nothing extremely harsh) and maybe just off road exploring - again nothing harsh. I don't foresee myself towing anything more than maybe an atv or side by side, or possibly a boat in the near future. And when I go on hunting, or fishing camping trips, I probably have 800#-1000# in the bed and cab, while still driving "spirited".

All that being said, with what I've described,
(1) Will I legitimately benefit from an upgraded intercooler with my mpt tunes and my expected uses of the truck.
I'm looking towards just an upgrade to the stock ic, specifically the cvf titan, and I'm not open to changing the IC to a different location or anything else like that at this time just drop in replacement. After reading all the posts here I can, I'm still left unsure if an upgrade is worthwhile for my circumstances. I understand what the IC does and the more reliable boost I'll get under load, but
(2) does it sound like I'm going to be loading it enough to benefit.
And by benefit, I mean in any way... More durability or reliability to the whole system, or realistic possible performance gains.
(3) How hard do I have to push the truck before really starting to worry about heat sink, or anything related to that, with my intended uses.

I've watched my temps with my stock set up going WOT and the biggest difference I've seen has been around 50° b/t charge temp and inlet temp. And that was after passing 100mph with still WOT. I assume a tune will change those temperatures somewhat, but how much idk.

Sorry for the long post, but I didn't want another generic IC upgrade question thread & wanted to be a little more specific in my explanation and questions.
Again sorry for the clickbait title and Thanks in advance for the knowledge y'all are gonna drop on me.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An intercooler upgrade benefits all trucks. Stock or tuned. Especially if it’s hot where you are. A tune can add a ton more power with an intercooler if you want it to.

Not sure beyond that what the question is?

OP
OP
TallVol

TallVol

Reaction score
An intercooler upgrade benefits all trucks. Stock or tuned. Especially if it’s hot where you are. A tune can add a ton more power with an intercooler if you want it to.

Not sure beyond that what the question is?

I live in Tennessee and Kentucky. I guess my understanding is an upgraded intercooler isn't going to add much unless the ambient temperature is hot hot, or unless you're really pushing the truck.
It rarely gets over 100° here. I'm not sure if my intended uses are going to actually be pushing the truck to where I'm going to see any advantage to upgrading the intercooler.

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have the tunes made for the inter cooler? If not may want to look into that. I have MPT and it will be quite a bit of difference from stock if you got the trans tune with the prx. Also I live in Arkansas and believe the collet will help quite a bit.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Tennessee and Kentucky. I guess my understanding is an upgraded intercooler isn't going to add much unless the ambient temperature is hot hot, or unless you're really pushing the truck.
It rarely gets over 100° here. I'm not sure if my intended uses are going to actually be pushing the truck to where I'm going to see any advantage to upgrading the intercooler.
The tune can be upgraded to give more more more with an intercooler. Beyond that maybe it’s not often hot enough to have a real benefit if you don’t intend to change your map.

OP
OP
TallVol

TallVol

Reaction score
Did you have the tunes made for the inter cooler? If not may want to look into that. I have MPT and it will be quite a bit of difference from stock if you got the trans tune with the prx. Also I live in Arkansas and believe the collet will help quite a bit.

Literally just ordered the nguage yesterday, so I was thinking I could get the IC up here this week and installed before starting the tune process... If it's actually a worthwhile Upgrade.
In the past I only upgraded oem parts when it was time to change them out anyway. And I was too big of a ***** to tune my last truck.
So this is a new process for me.

Raptorrunner2019

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The answer to your question is very easy. You have the ability to monitor your charge air temperature and intake air temperature in the middle screen above the steering wheel. When you apply pressure to the go pedal and enter the boost realm, you will see your charge air temperature increase with the stock intercooler. With a simple change of the intercooler, you will see that temperature drop when you hit the go pedal. I had a difference of 50+ degrees with stock, and my CVF intercooler is within 4 degrees of intake air under boost. Lower temps mean more power. You don’t retard timing to compensate. This is why intercooler got this truck is so great... especially if you Are hard on the go pedal.

I live in Florida. Cold climates may Not be able to relate as well.

Eric10

Reaction score
I installed the mishimoto and like raptor runner said the temp goes down when you get on the throttle.

OP
OP
TallVol

TallVol

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies. I didn't need much of a push and I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a cvf titan. Supposed to get here Wednesday. Hopefully get it installed Thursday at some point. Pretty excited to get it on and get it tuned now.