Truck Shakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a raptor that has started to shake at speeds 50mph or faster. The wheel oscillates back and forth. I thought it might be the wheels or tires and switched to a brand new set of road force balanced 37 km2's and methods. This magnified the issue and now the truck shakes even more. Any ideas? Bent parts? Anybody have this experience?:bawl:

13_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like wheel balance. Are they stock wheels?

You may want to take it back to where you got the tires and have them checked again. You can jack up the truck and spin the wheels to see if anything is bent or out of round.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Road force machines are only as good as the person using them, but let's assume for a minute it isn't the tires. How's your alignment?

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it got worse with new tires etc, I would guess that the suspension is wonky, get an allignment and see the comparison on each side.

OP
OP
roostinyfz

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like wheel balance. Are they stock wheels?

You may want to take it back to where you got the tires and have them checked again. You can jack up the truck and spin the wheels to see if anything is bent or out of round.

It isn't the tires, it does it with both the stock and aftermarket set. Alignment was recently done, but tires are wearing really good. Has anyone had a shake just from mis-alignment?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Absolutely if your alignment is out of whack it will cause a shimmy in the steering wheel. Or, move the front tires to the back and see if the wobble goes away. If it does, it's probably your tire balance. If it doesn't then it could still be a poor balance job or alignment or worst case "something" is bent but let's try the simple stuff first.

OP
OP
roostinyfz

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely if your alignment is out of whack it will cause a shimmy in the steering wheel. Or, move the front tires to the back and see if the wobble goes away. If it does, it's probably your tire balance. If it doesn't then it could still be a poor balance job or alignment or worst case "something" is bent but let's try the simple stuff first.

Ok you guys need to read my post. It's not the tires and wheels. I have 2 sets, both have the same result. They were both recently balanced. I just got it aligned, but have had some hard off-road miles since. So the basics have been done.

I have knocked my alignment out as much as anyone and have never quiet had a vibration like this. It's like a death wobble, but my tires are wearing great. I'm just surprised that my tires would wear great and be so out of alignment, to cause a death type wobble. I'll go get it aligned. I've had it aligned 6 times the last 10,000 miles with the alignment keys. Starting of getting tired of having to align it.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Ok you guys need to read my post. It's not the tires and wheels. I have 2 sets, both have the same result. They were both recently balanced. I just got it aligned, but have had some hard off-road miles since. So the basics have been done.

I have knocked my alignment out as much as anyone and have never quiet had a vibration like this. It's like a death wobble, but my tires are wearing great. I'm just surprised that my tires would wear great and be so out of alignment, to cause a death type wobble. I'll go get it aligned. I've had it aligned 6 times the last 10,000 miles with the alignment keys. Starting of getting tired of having to align it.

35-37" tires aren't easy to balance. Not saying it is your case because it clearly might not be... but don't write it off. Alignment could cause it, that's all I can really think of. If "something" was bent you would probably feel it at speeds below 50mph. That's a pretty common speed for tire balance and alignment problems to show their ugly heads. You could also have the alignment tech check to see if anything looks bent, loose, etc. Sorry if I am over simplifying things and covering points you have already had addressed.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are your caster measurements?
Has anyone pulled the front rotors and cleaned the mating surfaces between the hub flange, rotor hat, and wheel face?
If all checks out put a dial indicator on the hub flange, spin the hub by hand and look for excessive run out.
How does the power steering feel? If the pump is getting weak it may not have sufficient pressure to keep the rack steady.
Just some thoughts.

Had a (i mean worked on) corvette once that didn't develop a shimmy till after 100 mph. Ended up being a bent hub that I only found after checking it with a dial indicator. Yeah... Try road testing that concern.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter