Toyo Open Country MT vs NItto Trail Grap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TuckerTravis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is real difference between the Open Country MT and the Trail Grappler? I know they are made by same company, and guys at discount tire say they are exact same tire besides the price difference. In my opinion I would think the Open country would be a better tire if it is a little more expensive. I have read online that the Trail Grap is "squirmy" or something like that so that kind of makes me lean towards Open Country. Plus the Toyo looks better in my opinion. Whats y'alls input

Truck Wolf

Banned
Reaction score
My local tire place has them in stock but they want $380 for them. And they claim they're on "sale"!
The pricing I've seen for Goodyear Duratracs puts them at about $100 less...

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is real difference between the Open Country MT and the Trail Grappler? I know they are made by same company, and guys at discount tire say they are exact same tire besides the price difference. In my opinion I would think the Open country would be a better tire if it is a little more expensive. I have read online that the Trail Grap is "squirmy" or something like that so that kind of makes me lean towards Open Country. Plus the Toyo looks better in my opinion. Whats y'alls input

Toyo may own Nitto but, they are not the same tire. Different tread designs for sure. The Trail Grappler is a newer tire and I've heard good things from the people I've met who ran them. Having said this, I'll admit I'm a little gunshy with respect to Nitto tires in general because the TerraGrapplers I had on my old Dodge for a year were indeed, "squirmy." Truck felt like it was driving on slimmy, wet diapers in turns, even in dry weather. That was on 285/70R17s using the Dodge's stock wheels.

After 37,000miles, my Raptor's original tires are looking like they can afford to be replaced. I'm looking toward the Toyo Open Country M/T or Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar if I don't stick with the stockers. The one point of concern is the extra weight of the Toyo and Nitto tires. You're looking at an extra 18-20lbs of unsprung weight in the tires. I can't help but wonder if that won't create additional wear and tear on the steering and suspension.

Banned
Reaction score
Between those two id go toyo. They will also provide better wet/snow/ice traction if you have those conditions where you live.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well the 37 Toyo's will not fit on our trucks even on the top perch without cutting metal and quite a bit. Am going to use the 37 Geolanders today---12.50 vs 13.50 for the Toyos.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toyo may own Nitto but, they are not the same tire. Different tread designs for sure. The Trail Grappler is a newer tire and I've heard good things from the people I've met who ran them. Having said this, I'll admit I'm a little gunshy with respect to Nitto tires in general because the TerraGrapplers I had on my old Dodge for a year were indeed, "squirmy." Truck felt like it was driving on slimmy, wet diapers in turns, even in dry weather. That was on 285/70R17s using the Dodge's stock wheels.

After 37,000miles, my Raptor's original tires are looking like they can afford to be replaced. I'm looking toward the Toyo Open Country M/T or Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar if I don't stick with the stockers. The one point of concern is the extra weight of the Toyo and Nitto tires. You're looking at an extra 18-20lbs of unsprung weight in the tires. I can't help but wonder if that won't create additional wear and tear on the steering and suspension.

Ditto on the Nitto.. I've heard good things, but any M/T is gonna be noisier and ride harsher (sidewall), and the extra weight you will definitely feel. When I switched to Grabber Red Letters, they were stiffer and heavier. I like the look of the Toyo, but haven't got a set of either because I can't decide, lol. I'm thinking the Nitto Trails will be the next set on my 11 F250. The reviews I've read on forums and tire sites say they are quieter, but who the hell knows, right? The weight won't be noticeable on this truck, its gonna be a 35" tire is all.

I have reservations about the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tires. I bought a set for my 09 F250 and Goodyear took em back at less 8,000 miles, they had used up 60% of their tread (the taller tread had leveled out with the shorter single tread in the middle)I think they are more suited for the Jeep crowd (lighter trucks) and heavy mud use. They have a cool tread pattern, but I think for day to day, its loud and wears too fast... just my opinion. Unsprung weight shouldn't have too much impact on the suspension, the suspension is holding up the truck, not the tires.

Last edited:

HIGHDESERT

Reaction score
I am on my second set of Toyo M/T's. I have been super happy with them for their great wear and road noise. Compared to a few other mud tires and a few a/t I've tried ,these have been like the miracle tire. I have a couple friends who feel the exact same way and will run nothing else. The Nitto's might be good too but I have no experience with them.