Torsen front axle problems ! anyone else ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cheap ******!

I honestly don't know why they still use the system they do.
Back when rangers switched to a SLA IFS they used the same system. But noticed issues and switched it out for a live axle 4x4 setup two years later. Why they didn't do the same for the f150's is beyond me.

Ford markets their system as a good thing too...

Ford F150 - 4 Wheel Drive Disconnect - YouTube

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We don't really know what fixed it honestly. Last time they worked on it we decided to do it all at once and it stopped. Also, a 31 limited slip like out of a GT500 is a direct replacement.

Banned
Reaction score
We don't really know what fixed it honestly. Last time they worked on it we decided to do it all at once and it stopped. Also, a 31 limited slip like out of a GT500 is a direct replacement.

As well I'd bet a limited slip from an explorer, or an fx4 level II ranger. As they both use the 31 spline 8.8 as well.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Can a 2010 or 2011 diff be easily swapped into a 2012?
The whole front end of the truck has to be dismantled to get it out - the suspension has to be taken apart to get the CVs out. Once it is out, you could also swap in an open carrier vs the whole diff.

I honestly don't know why they still use the system they do.
Back when rangers switched to a SLA IFS they used the same system. But noticed issues and switched it out for a live axle 4x4 setup two years later. Why they didn't do the same for the f150's is beyond me.
It is their attempt to milk every last bit of fuel economy possible.

Banned
Reaction score
It is their attempt to milk every last bit of fuel economy possible.

Yeah, but the difference really isn't noticeable at all. I havens friend with pretty much the exact same truck as me except his is 2wd.
We get the same MPG if I dont use 4x4.

I think raptor owners would prefer a reliable system over .5 mpg difference, if that.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

I told rcv if shit dont work it will be a solid front dana for me. Or get rid of the raptor

I can see a f250 on 40's working awesome for you haha.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole front end of the truck has to be dismantled to get it out - the suspension has to be taken apart to get the CVs out. Once it is out, you could also swap in an open carrier vs the whole diff

does seem a shame to ditch the torsen because the wimpy IWE can not do its job. the proverb throwing out the baby with the bath water comes to mind.

Would be a good idea if a ford rep could attend Havoc in the Hills and see the issue in person.

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The whole front end of the truck has to be dismantled to get it out - the suspension has to be taken apart to get the CVs out. Once it is out, you could also swap in an open carrier vs the whole diff

does seem a shame to ditch the torsen because the wimpy IWE can not do its job. the proverb throwing out the baby with the bath water comes to mind.

Would be a good idea if a ford rep could attend Havoc in the Hills and see the issue in person.

It's pretty common when people start pointing fingers over any negative issue, the ones the blame is aimed towards are nowhere around. Don't guess I blame them, but nothing ever gets resolved with this perspective. Basically I'm saying... don't expect Ford to be there or admit there is a problem even if they were.

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 AM ----------

I told rcv if shit dont work it will be a solid front dana for me. Or get rid of the raptor

Well hopefully shit works. RCV will make tons if so, LOL of axles and greenbacks. I'm wanting a set myself. Have you got yours installed yet?

Last edited:

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well hopefully shit works. RCV will make tons if so, LOL of axles and greenbacks. I'm wanting a set myself. Have you got yours installed yet?[/QUOTE]

what is RCV

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
http://www.rcvperformance.com

"History
RCV Performance Products is a division of Aircraft Gear Corp., a family-owned company with divisions that have been manufacturing aerospace and automotive drive train components in the U.S. for more than 60 years.

Who We Are
We are off-road enthusiasts who understand the vehicles in which our parts are installed, as well as the hard core off-road environments where they will be used. We are honored to have our products considered "revolutionary" by experts in the off-road industry.

What We Do
At RCV, we use our engineering and manufacturing experience to develop and produce CV axles and other high-performance drive line components for the automotive, truck, and bus industries. Our main focus is on patented CV Axle conversions and replacement IFS axle shafts for the automotive off-road market. RCV provides "off the shelf" solutions as well as caters to custom application projects, and other large and small driveline projects as they come in the door."

Taken right off their website. Basically they make kickass axles. However, the previous versions for Raptors were plagued with issues.