Torque Wrench/Proper Torque for your Nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.....see what I did there??....may as well make the title interesting on such a mundane subject.

I know there has been multiple threads on this, but wanted to get feedback on a good Torque wrench to purchase. I have gathered that not all wrenches are created equal and do require calibration, maintenance, etc. Any insights would be great.

Second question...I have never really paid much attention to the Torque of my lug nuts. Just had a tire issue fixed yesterday, they put the wheel back on and secured. No torque wrench or anything. What are most common tire places impact wrenches set to? What is the impact of being off of the 150 target for Raptor lug nuts?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Second question...I have never really paid much attention to the Torque of my lug nuts. Just had a tire issue fixed yesterday, they put the wheel back on and secured. No torque wrench or anything. What are most common tire places impact wrenches set to? What is the impact of being off of the 150 target for Raptor lug nuts?

Ruh Roh Shaggy!

What are most tire place impact wrenches set to? 11 on a 10 scale. We are talking full on, stud stripping, hat warping, wheel bending torque. What is that? well, my 1990’s era craftsman is good for 400 foot pounds. impact wrench technology and efficiency has not backslid in the ensuing decades, I can assure you.

Queue the LEGION of people who will proudly proclaim they’ve never had a problem with stripped lug nuts or studs after a 300 year lifetime of going to tire shops... even though they’re less than 300 years in the business, but never mind that. Take a tour of your preferred internet search engine for ‘lug nuts overtorqued’ or see the results here on FRF. This stuff does happen and happens with a frequency that isn’t as uncommon as most of us would like to think. Do they screw up every time? No, or they wouldn’t be in business.

Ever pull a tire after a tire shop mount and balance or rotation? Did you have to use a breaker bar? This is clueful.

I had an issue years and years ago in which a tire shop impacted my wheels on, after which I had to pull them, I think it was a warning about having to change the front pads soon.

OP
OP
BSP10

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ruh Roh Shaggy!

What are most tire place impact wrenches set to? 11 on a 10 scale. We are talking full on, stud stripping, hat warping, wheel bending torque. What is that? well, my 1990’s era craftsman is good for 400 foot pounds. impact wrench technology and efficiency has not backslid in the ensuing decades, I can assure you.

Queue the LEGION of people who will proudly proclaim they’ve never had a problem with stripped lug nuts or studs after a 300 year lifetime of going to tire shops... even though they’re less than 300 years in the business, but never mind that. Take a tour of your preferred internet search engine for ‘lug nuts overtorqued’ or see the results here on FRF. This stuff does happen and happens with a frequency that isn’t as uncommon as most of us would like to think. Do they screw up every time? No, or they wouldn’t be in business.

Ever pull a tire after a tire shop mount and balance or rotation? Did you have to use a breaker bar? This is clueful.

I had an issue years and years ago in which a tire shop impacted my wheels on, after which I had to pull them, I think it was a warning about having to change the front pads soon.

Makes sense. One of those. It’s not an issue until it’s an issue kinda thing.

Once I get the torque wrench is there any issue correcting to the proper 150? Either bringing it up or most likely backing it off down to the 150. Any concerns to be aware of?

Last edited:

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are most tire place impact wrenches set to? 11 on a 10 scale. We are talking full on, stud stripping, hat warping, wheel bending torque.
I know you said “most”, but not at our local, family owned shop in SE WI.
All of our tire techs are trained to properly torque tires and we have a manufacturers wheel spec poster in our shop.
Any tech taking “shortcuts” is re-trained.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side note: DO NOT TRUST FORD QUICKLANE TO DO ANYTHING TO YOUR RAPTOR!!!! no matter how overworked, tired, or lazy you feel do it yourself. Went to quicklane a few weeks back for their "Works" package because I didn't feel like doing a quick service myself. After a day of mudding I sprayed the leafsprings with some CG de-greaser to break down the caked up mud. Well the springs started squeaking so I decided to take the rear tires off to lube them up. Before I jacked the truck up I was going to break the lugs loose and low and behold 3 lugs on passenger side and 2 on the driver side felt like they were tightened by a preschool auto mechanic class:mad:. Add in the leaking plastic drain plug they didn't replace, that was 2 burns in one visit. Needless to say I WILL NOT!!! be utilizing their junior high traing course anymore.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 200lb Kobalt that is pretty good. I also have a 200lb Craftsman, that is hit or miss. I wish Sears was still around so I could exchange but the Kobalt does a fine job. If you have the cash, splurge on a Snap On.

Secondly, never trust a tire shop. Especially if you are gonna take the beast off-road soon after. It doesn't take much time to set your torque wrench at 150 and go through each lug. Just be sure to set your wrench back to 0 before storing.

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stanley Proto is a great moderately price torque wrench that is made in the USA. I've had the cheaper torque wrenches from Craftsman, Husky, etc and the quality isn't even close to the Proto. They are a little bit more money but worth it not to break bolts/studs or in this case possibly have your wheel pass you on the highway.

Last edited: