Tonneau covers with roof top tent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a roof top tent on top of the bed, but don't want to remove the BakFlip Tonneau cover.

Has anyone installed this system in your Raptor?

Send pictures if you don't mind on some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could do one of those rack things that holds everything up off the rails however far, but man they're proud of them. Not sure if it'd be high enough to clear a hard flip cover though, may need to change to a roll up type. My buddy with a big rubicon has one and he finally sold it and went back to a regular tent. It was tough always trying to get the jeep to a level spot to sleep, and then it's just a bunch to haul around all the time. Others will chime in I'm sure, but my experiences with him wrestling with the damn thing turned me away from doing one. If you're solo, I will say I'm a huge fan of my new Overland by ARE topper and the bed rug I put in the bed. Don't need a mat and it makes for a great dry place for all your gear.

OP
OP
SS308

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, went the topper route and it wasn't for me. I like the idea of camping anywhere and I have friends that have them, really like them. I also like the idea I can ratchet the frame and tent in my garage and not have to have it on permanently. The topper was a pain to try and get off and on.

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you're solo, sleeping under the tonneau is every bit as comfortable as sleeping under a topper. I actually like it better. If you're not solo, the bed is too short for sleeping in, period, unless you're both really short.

OP
OP
SS308

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I'm looking for suggestions and experience for the frame/tent over the bed.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotcha. Make sure your ladder has non-skid on the rungs, wet aluminum in the middle of the night when you're half asleep and it's raining could get exciting. My experience camping with women is that it's a PITA. I'd make her rough it for a few years and if she still wants to go, then I'd maybe invest time and money in it. My wife gave it up a few years ago and we're both happier for it. For me, there's no topper on the Raptor, no RTT, steak every night, trips that can last a week or more in desolate places. For her, it's never too cold, too warm, too windy, too buggy, too dry, too humid, too tiring, too uncomfortable, too boring. Life is good. :)

venraptav

Reaction score
I went with the KB Voodoo crossbars. Strong enough (and wide enough) for a tent plus bike racks, etc and designed to fit an array of tonneau covers. Put the Tepui Kukenam 3 tent on top and couldn’t be happier.

A6BE35C2-4029-4E76-8088-11924A288E8D.jpeg

8504C2E9-F303-484E-AEFD-3B780F634369.png

OP
OP
SS308

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with the KB Voodoo crossbars. Strong enough (and wide enough) for a tent plus bike racks, etc and designed to fit an array of tonneau covers. Put the Tepui Kukenam 3 tent on top and couldn’t be happier.

View attachment 149185

View attachment 149186

Looks Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Can you open your Tonneau Cover or do you just crawl in?

Thanks...

venraptav

Reaction score
I previously had the BakFlip MX4. You could lift the cover up slightly- not at all useful, however. I keep my camping gear in bins so I’d just slide everything out.

I’ve since taken that cover off and am looking for a roll cover that is more durable than just the basic vinyl ones.

The crossbars (and anything mounted to it) remove very easily and can be hoisted up/off with a pulley system or two strong-ish people. If you do that your BakFlip will function like normal.