Tire wear on 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry Prater

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Raptor that just turned 40,000 mile that I bought new in 2018. I rotate the tires every 5,000 miles. I have noticed that the inside of the tires are wearing faster than the rest of the tire. There does not appear to be an alignment problem as there is no pull and I can let go of the wheel even at high speeds and it runs straight. This Raptor has never been jumped or abused. I use it for trips as a highway truck, to and from the deer camp and other manly things. I have noticed the front tires appear to be slanted in just a bit on both sides from the top, which I believe is causing the wear. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what is the fix.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Raptor that just turned 40,000 mile that I bought new in 2018. I rotate the tires every 5,000 miles. I have noticed that the inside of the tires are wearing faster than the rest of the tire. There does not appear to be an alignment problem as there is no pull and I can let go of the wheel even at high speeds and it runs straight. This Raptor has never been jumped or abused. I use it for trips as a highway truck, to and from the deer camp and other manly things. I have noticed the front tires appear to be slanted in just a bit on both sides from the top, which I believe is causing the wear. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what is the fix.
That would be an alignment problem then.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah. The lower A arm is slotted. So it can be a pain to dial in for some techs. You can buy a alignment camber kit to help lock/dial in the alignment. When you do your tire rotation, are you doing the proper pattern? I have never had mine wear weird but i also rotate with the rears in a x pattern.
1667493577216.png
You can also install this kit that allows you to eliminate the slot and lock in the setting.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Describe the wear pattern please.

Because there is a known chunking issue on the Rap, and I don’t know if it’s inclusive of Jen Juan, but multiple Jen Too users have reported seeing

1) Inside tire wear far greater than outside. Due to the recommended 38 psi on the stock KO2’s
2) inside tire lugs or cleats feather the rear of the lug on every other lug. Yes, it’s not every lug, it’s every other inside lug of the tire. The onset is subtle and once it’s there, it’s tough to “wear” it out.

Your alignment can be factory perfect and still have the unusual wear pattern on the KO2’s as described - best I can articulate it in number 2 above.

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had the same issue and it ended up being an alignment issue that caused exactly what @smurfslayer stated in #2. New tires and an alignment fixed it all.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So I had the same issue and it ended up being an alignment issue that caused exactly what @smurfslayer stated in #2. New tires and an alignment fixed it all.

I should elaborate a little. When I first noticed the problem, it was incident to another FRF user asking about it. At the time, I already had at least 25k on the tires, rotated about 7-10k in between - not as aggressive a rotation as I usually do. Also, I didn’t discover the uneven wear until about ... 15k miles? or so. I put in probably 3 full months on the tires, new, at the recommended 38/38 or 37/36 lowest. I then dropped the psi incrementally after Raptor Assault and settled at about 35-36 front, 34-33 rear, unless on a road trip with interstate travel. I had alignment done free at first rotation, it was zero off factory calibration in every category. Even when I had the wheels / new KO2’s done, they aligned to exactly the previous (good) settings. So far these tires are not manifesting symptoms, though only 4 of the 6 have front exposure yet.

I expect the oddball wear pattern will manifest again, later in tire life but hopefully with a more aggressive rotation it won’t be as soon or bad.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an alignment issue. I noticed the same problem about 5,000 miles after I spent a week in Baja doing some hard offroading. Truck drove straight and no apparent issues felt through the steering wheel

Spike Spiegel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tires on my 18 wore the same way. When I got new tires my alignment guy said the factory specs are causing the tires to wear on the inside. Something about toe in. I can't remember exactly what he said, but he said every F150 and raptor he has done is the same way. If you get aligned to factory specs it will keep wearing on the inside.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did 5 wheel rotations every 5,000-8,000 miles, my tires were loud as hell at 46,000 miles and had some tread left, but the noise was why I replaced them

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter