Thoughts on new Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
tow mode, huh? Hadn’t thought of that.

I also feel the downshifts as I slow the truck. They’re not harsh, but not Lincoln Town Car smooth either. Ironically, 8-10 and 10-8 are barely noticeable at cruising throttle, and really the only cue I get is the increased engine sound due to slightly higher rpms, it’s smooth as silk here.

hewster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like mine so far. It is very noticeable in terms of grabbing power where it is needed.

I haven't had too many hard shifts. I noticed them the first 100 miles or so, now I only feel one on a very cold day and I am being a ****** with the go pedal.

I don't see an issue with the gear skipping that drives some people crazy. If it doesn't need it, why use it.

Lumber

Reaction score
5000 hard miles on mine, all in sport mode. No issues. Crisp shifts, no skipping/hunting for gears.

I won't drive in normal mode, feels like a different truck, and not in a good way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miula

Reaction score
tow mode, huh? Hadn’t thought of that.

I also feel the downshifts as I slow the truck. They’re not harsh, but not Lincoln Town Car smooth either. Ironically, 8-10 and 10-8 are barely noticeable at cruising throttle, and really the only cue I get is the increased engine sound due to slightly higher rpms, it’s smooth as silk here.

+1 on the downshifts being noticeable, not terrible but it feels a bit "un-refined" especially as you come to a full stop around town... almost like 5th through 1st gear have a bit of lurching...

Still loving the truck and enjoying the $h!t out of it after almost 2k miles!!!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m not sure I would have picked the word ‘unrefined’ but I also won’t disagree with it. I actually prefer to ‘feel’ the shifts a little bit. My comment about not being town car smooth was not meant to be a sleight, this is a truck after all.

Even in eco mode, I like driving the truck

derekg1988

Reaction score
Does anybody notice on cold starts, when you put the truck into reverse for the first time that morning, its shifts into gear a little hard, when you let off the brake pedal.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has experienced what feels like either an engine miss or transmission slip in 5th gear? My truck in normal mode under mild acceleration has some funky characteristics in 5th gear. It almost feels like it shifts twice in 5th.

foo.c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has experienced what feels like either an engine miss or transmission slip in 5th gear? My truck in normal mode under mild acceleration has some funky characteristics in 5th gear. It almost feels like it shifts twice in 5th.

May be the torque converter locking/unlocking. Just a guess.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody notice on cold starts, when you put the truck into reverse for the first time that morning, its shifts into gear a little hard, when you let off the brake pedal.

I have definitely noticed a difference when the truck is cold, so you are not alone with what you are experiencing. As strange as it sounds, if I start my truck and immediately take off driving, it seems like it drives "weird" for the entire trip (20+ miles). If I just let it sit there idling for about 30 seconds and take off driving, the experience seems to be much more pleasant. The 30 second delay definitely isn't allowing anything to really warm up, but it seems to help for some strange reason. Maybe the truck just needs a little time to clear the cobwebs when you wake her?