Those that coated their undercarriage with POR-15

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious how it's been holding up? I had surface rust on my frame rails and leaf springs. Probably from being lazy and not washing mud off after wheeling (truck has only been through one bad winter, and it was this year).

So I did the 3 steps today. I only ended up putting a single coat, but put it on thick.

Rep732

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any pics? I undercoated mine with the fluid film black and it gave me better piece of mind keeping the salt from going in the hard to wash spots

OP
OP
Raptorial

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't take any. Will try and get some tomorrow. I was able to get one thick coat on almost the entire undercarriage. I didn't see anything around the spare tire or toward the front of the truck. It was all concentrated around the rear tire

It looks good, too bad it didn't come like that from the factory

ezndo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have any pics bec i sold my 2010 but i used POR15 on the frame rails etc years ago and it held up great, even in NJ winters/salt. If you knocked off the loose stuff before you applied it should work well.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don’t recommend the product. It tends to crack and break up over time unless your surface prep is absolutely perfect

Use Woolwax instead.
I'm a big fan of Woolwax also. I like that it protects, but still if you have to disassemble anything, you easily can. Just don't apply it and then a few weeks later accidentally stick the back of your head against it several times while working underneath your truck.

I'm obviously much too smart to have done this myself, but I know a guy who did it. :banghead:

Last edited:

Rep732

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with what's stated above about a "hard shell" undercoat as I didn't want to have to go crazy with surface prep so I opted for the fluid film to soak into the metal and atleast be under the salt on the frame

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use ACF-50 (Anti Corrosion Formula-50) exclusively on our airplanes. We fog inside the wings and fuselage structure at every annual inspection. It is totally FAA approved since we operate to commercial standards. Application goes over the wiring and everything. Some of the planes are 40 years old and are based on the west coast getting constant ocean air. Inside the wings etc the aluminum and steel fittings look new. Our chief of maintenance with 20 years experience will use nothing else. The Porsche, Ferrari and motorcycle guys are raving about the stuff on their forums. But, I've never seen anything on this forum. We have flogged some trucks under the hood and whole chassis with great short term success. But, no long term truck results. Anybody else tried it?

Jpro39

Reaction score
Just did my 2021 with wool wax. it was easy to apply and seems to be holding up well to winter salt. I used 6 cans of black and it gets into every nook and cranny you spray. I just layer under the truck in the driveway and sprayed what I could. Not overly worried about inside doors etc as I wash my truck within a day of any salt getting on it.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just did my 2021 with wool wax. it was easy to apply and seems to be holding up well to winter salt. I used 6 cans of black and it gets into every nook and cranny you spray. I just layer under the truck in the driveway and sprayed what I could. Not overly worried about inside doors etc as I wash my truck within a day of any salt getting on it.
I had a shop do the initial application. I did the fall touch up with 3/4 of a can myself. It didn't need much, the A arms and the rear axle. That was only because I blasted it pretty good in the spring with a pressure washer in those spots. The shop got into places I never would have been able, like inside the entire hitch tube, the whole length of the frame rails inside, way up in the top on the underside of the bed nooks and crannies, places that without special attachments you couldn't do yourself. I plan on keeping the truck a long time, so I went the extra mile. He also heats it up to get it to migrate extra well.