The 1¢ and $3 Door Rattle Fixes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used electrical tape on my latches for a year and a half. I tried adjusting the latches every which way, I could never get rid of the rattle. The tape is good for 3 to 4 months before it needs replacing.
The 1" Gorilla tape lasts a bit longer.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't it be? All the tape does is tighten up the connection in between the latch and the striker.

Just seems like latches are a safety feature and heavily tested. Wouldnt want to have it break the plastic since there is more pressure on it constantly, etc. I am not an engineer lol, just asking.

Also, if something did go wrong I am sure the insurance company would flip that the safety latch was modified with tape.

I'd probably try shrink wrap or some type of coating that looks more official.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Just seems like latches are a safety feature and heavily tested. Wouldnt want to have it break the plastic since there is more pressure on it constantly, etc. I am not an engineer lol, just asking.

Also, if something did go wrong I am sure the insurance company would flip that the safety latch was modified with tape.

I'd probably try shrink wrap or some type of coating that looks more official.
Plastic? The latches and strikers are metal. And, if anything, you would want a tighter connection in a crash, not loose.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome write up. thanks! I also have the same rattling drivers side cab door, and took it into ford 3 times for it. was rattling since 3k miles. passenger side is perfect but drivers is so loose I can see it moving in the mirror just driving on the street.

thanks again! will do tonight!