Tech Question on Ford Edge...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SLB, the TSB is only applicable to vehicles built before 12-4-08, so the TSB itself does not apply. Still would not rule out a wheel bearing.

FSM
I feared that, this just means the dealer will not act on it. I was told it was a normal characteristic so pretty much screwed I would say, unless the wheels fall off. Arggg... oh well I will mention it and see what they say! Thanks!!

joliesse

Reaction score
This is an old thread, but I will add that my 2010 Edge (front wheel drive) [5400 miles] just had the left rear wheel bearing replaced. We were returning from a long trip when 5 miles from home a whining sound started up. But about the same time we experienced a failure of the transmission to shift into high gear. All the gremlins struck at once I guess. Anyway, we thought it was all trans related.

Took it to the dealer next morning and they kept it all day saying they couldn't replicate, but found a TSP on the trans and had ordered a part. After 6 days, I was getting more skeptical of it all being the same problem so went back and nicely 'demanded' that the service manager drive it. First thing out on the road he says 'you have a bad left wheel bearing'. Then later in the showroom again, said it had been a major problem with 08 and 09 Edges. They got it in for service a couple days later when the trans part arrived, fixed both and all seems well.

So when does the right bearing go out??

BJ

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of that we have seen as a "common" concern that may fit your description is that some of the 08-09' MY Edges built before 12-4-08 had some faulty rear wheel bearings, but they commonly exhibited a growling or howling type noise. Can the noise be affected by loading to one side or the other? Try a small serpentine manuver at the lower speed you mentioned while the noise is present and holding a steady speed to see if the noise can be altered. Loading and unloading a bad bearing can isolate which side it is coming from. I know this is just an idea and may have nothing to do with the noise you are describing but maybe something worth a try?

FSM

I did hundreds of testing hours on that fix... It was the tolerance of the bearing surface from the supplier made trailing arms... it caused the bearing to set at to much of an angle... that caused the premature failure of the bearing...

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooooo I still have the issue, and the last two posts "indicate" a wheel bearing, left or right... but does ANYONE have and TSB or info that I can use on the dealer that my 09 Edge Limited, front wheel drive indeed has a bad wheel bearing? The dealer keeps telling me the whining sound at those speeds is a common characteristic of the vehicle.. sure it is, wish they would advertise it as such, and maybe I would not have lumped 40k down on one! Any help would be appreciated!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't help you on the TSB stuff but have you driven along side the vehicle and listened from the outside? You might want to try this to pinpoint the noise source.

Also, can you take the vehicle to another Ford dealer and start over? Seems like you're not getting the support from the dealer you need.

One more suggestion: If all else fails, send an email to Alan Mulally, President and CEO of Ford. I'll bet someone in his office will get you the help you need.

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help you on the TSB stuff but have you driven along side the vehicle and listened from the outside? You might want to try this to pinpoint the noise source.

Also, can you take the vehicle to another Ford dealer and start over? Seems like you're not getting the support from the dealer you need.

One more suggestion: If all else fails, send an email to Alan Mulally, President and CEO of Ford. I'll bet someone in his office will get you the help you need.

I have not driven along side, however did try with the window down and it appears the noise is in the cabin for the most part, best I can tell. I am going to contact Team Ford and see if they would start all over with it, I think that is the best approach at this point. I am convinced it has to be the wheel bearings, as that is the only logical issue that would cause noise from the rear. Thanks!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have not driven along side, however did try with the window down and it appears the noise is in the cabin for the most part, best I can tell. I am going to contact Team Ford and see if they would start all over with it, I think that is the best approach at this point. I am convinced it has to be the wheel bearings, as that is the only logical issue that would cause noise from the rear. Thanks!

You think the noise "is in the cabin for the most part" yet you think "it has to be the wheel bearings" - strange.

Good thing to start with a good dealer like Team Ford.

If you think it's the wheel bearings I do suggest you drive alongside it and listen to all four wheels as you should be able to confirm the source and pinpoint which wheel(s).

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think the noise "is in the cabin for the most part" yet you think "it has to be the wheel bearings" - strange.

Good thing to start with a good dealer like Team Ford.

If you think it's the wheel bearings I do suggest you drive alongside it and listen to all four wheels as you should be able to confirm the source and pinpoint which wheel(s).

Sorry. what I meant was the sound (whining) seems to resonate in the cabin, at different speeds, but it comes from the rear or mid cabin, not the engine or dash area, thus my thought it there are few moving parts in the rear. Wheels, fuel pump, and the sorts, maybe, but that would appear more constant if fuel pump, or more than one area if a tire.... anyways... it would be hard to drive along side in a vehicles as all I have is the raptor, and god knows that is to loud to drive along a Edge LOL.. but the reason I "assume" a wheel bearing is that it seems to be an issue on prior units, and the noise I describe appears the same as those with that issue. Again, it is right on target with 38-45 MPH, then again around 58-65 MPH... could be higher but road noise kicks in at at point so how knows... Dealer already had it twice and states it is normal characteristic for the car, but I call BS as NO car should have a noise characteristic unless it is tuned exhaust lol...