Talked myself into a Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old guy says, before you spend a W A D on "upgrades", go run your Raptor. See if you can find any short comings. OBTW.....you looked for a truck that had not been modded because they hold their value much better that one that has been F*cked with.

I come from the days when you bought a sorta kinda off road motorcycle and had to mod the sh*t out of it to get it to perform. Those days are gone. Today you buy a new dirt bike and most manufactures have gone the mile for you. Example: out of the box, my new CRF450RX is a very competitive bike. The only thing I added was a steering damper because it cuts down on fatigue. Ford went to bat proving the Raptor long before it was ever released. Has Ford made improvements from Gen1 to Gen3? For sure! But what mods to a Gen1 will bring it closer to todays Raptor? Yes, you can do things like put a blower on her and enhance the power output at the expense of engine life but is the Raptor really supposed to be a drag truck?

Get yourself a nice bed cover or light bar. Have the paint leveled and ceramic coated. Perhaps find a set of wheels you like better. But before you go messing with the suspension or engine, go try it first and see if you really need "more" and if that "more" actually does any good.

The preceding rant is free and worth the same amount! (lol!)

PS! Great find! Enjoy!

OP
OP
blaiseam

blaiseam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old guy says, before you spend a W A D on "upgrades", go run your Raptor. See if you can find any short comings. OBTW.....you looked for a truck that had not been modded because they hold their value much better that one that has been F*cked with.

I come from the days when you bought a sorta kinda off road motorcycle and had to mod the sh*t out of it to get it to perform. Those days are gone. Today you buy a new dirt bike and most manufactures have gone the mile for you. Example: out of the box, my new CRF450RX is a very competitive bike. The only thing I added was a steering damper because it cuts down on fatigue. Ford went to bat proving the Raptor long before it was ever released. Has Ford made improvements from Gen1 to Gen3? For sure! But what mods to a Gen1 will bring it closer to todays Raptor? Yes, you can do things like put a blower on her and enhance the power output at the expense of engine life but is the Raptor really supposed to be a drag truck?

Get yourself a nice bed cover or light bar. Have the paint leveled and ceramic coated. Perhaps find a set of wheels you like better. But before you go messing with the suspension or engine, go try it first and see if you really need "more" and if that "more" actually does any good.

The preceding rant is free and worth the same amount! (lol!)

PS! Great find! Enjoy!

Haha thanks so much for the thoughts, they align with mine pretty strongly. This truck is pretty freaking awesome out of the box. First thing is going to be the lights and radio so that I can attend some runs and get a feel for where i think the trucks needs help, and who knows...I may be completely content (50/50 shot lol)

Thanks again for the warm welcome and advice!

NateMob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! If you want to jump feet first, Texas Raptor Run is next weekend in Blackwell, Texas.

If you're on FaceBook join Central Texas Raptors(less active) and San Antonio Raptor Owners(more active) and you'll have a good connection to local guys that actually Raptor their Raptors! We have a monthly meetup in Dale, Texas just southeast of Austin to run the Rally Ready track and hang out. This was a couple weeks ago.

Nathan

RSM_5146 2.JPG

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome! If you want to jump feet first, Texas Raptor Run is next weekend in Blackwell, Texas.

If you're on FaceBook join Central Texas Raptors(less active) and San Antonio Raptor Owners(more active) and you'll have a good connection to local guys that actually Raptor their Raptors! We have a monthly meetup in Dale, Texas just southeast of Austin to run the Rally Ready track and hang out. This was a couple weeks ago.

Nathan

View attachment 357074
Rally ready track looks awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter