Taking my truck to Work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need some more maturing if you're concerned with what other people think of your vehicle choice(s) - their opinion doesn't matter.

You've positioned yourself financially to afford what you want and that is nothing to be ashamed of.

Good to see you again. All things good with you?

cooooop_ks

Reaction score
I work in a Research & Development center, we have engineers, product designers (me) machinists, test personnel and r&d techs. I've been there 30 years and every time I buy a new vehicle, doesn't matter what it is, I have people who are interested in them and people who are jealous. No matter where you are, you will always have people on all sides of the fence, so who cares. I work hard for what I have, I have a right to buy what I want. If someone is jealous or looks at me differently on what I drive (2019 Raptor and and 2017 Mustang GT) to hell with them. I don't judge people on what they drive or how they spend their money, I judge them on their actions or words. Just exactly how I wanted to be judged.

bryanb

Reaction score
Thanks for the laughs and ******* remarks, now I feel welcomed!

I don't know... I think most folks missed the point (and maybe you made that easy to do). You don't care what people think in general of your expensive truck, you care what your employees think about your expensive truck. You recognize you've come in to a dysfunctional situation created by your predecessor. You understand that leadership isn't about positional authority but about the ability to win the hearts and minds of your employees, and you recognize that jealousy is real and can't be dismissed simply because it is immature.

You are wrestling with whether the potential envy exhibited by some of your employees will interfere with your new mission. That you would even consider to forego driving that beautiful machine to work because it might interfere with the mission, regardless of the reason, is evidence of the character your new boss has decided to pay a premium for.

Despite several claims to the contrary in this thread, the evidence of maturity is not lack of concern for what others think, but rather the willingness to defer some of your rights for the greater good (of your employer, in this case) because your mission is to get the most productive value from that group of people, and that is much easier to do when they respect you.

Having said all that, my sense is that your character will more than offset any initial envy shown by your team, especially if you've already given them a chance to know you before they meet the truck. :)

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tough position. I am a consultant engineer/geologist and when I meet clients, especially new clients, since I purchased my 2018 Raptor I get comments if they know vehicles. Sometimes the comments are a slight nudge about 'making the big dollars' or something like that, unfortunately. Those that know me know I am not a conceited jerk, but it can have an affect from someone that doesn't know me.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me it's self-perceived elitism. ..aka ego...nothing more.

You think your coworkers are reacting different because you think they should because you drive what you think is a superior truck.

Try a dose of humility. Goes a long way these days.

I think you're way off base here. It takes a forward thinker to take a real hard look at their own image, and realize the decisions they make can affect their team. If anything, it is a more selfless point of view.

I chose a '20 F150 Lariat instead of a Raptor because of a similar hard conversation I had with myself about personal image and how I wanted others to perceive me in a new professional role.

LorenzoValla

Reaction score
I don't know... I think most folks missed the point (and maybe you made that easy to do). You don't care what people think in general of your expensive truck, you care what your employees think about your expensive truck. You recognize you've come in to a dysfunctional situation created by your predecessor. You understand that leadership isn't about positional authority but about the ability to win the hearts and minds of your employees, and you recognize that jealousy is real and can't be dismissed simply because it is immature.

You are wrestling with whether the potential envy exhibited by some of your employees will interfere with your new mission. That you would even consider to forego driving that beautiful machine to work because it might interfere with the mission, regardless of the reason, is evidence of the character your new boss has decided to pay a premium for.

Despite several claims to the contrary in this thread, the evidence of maturity is not lack of concern for what others think, but rather the willingness to defer some of your rights for the greater good (of your employer, in this case) because your mission is to get the most productive value from that group of people, and that is much easier to do when they respect you.

Having said all that, my sense is that your character will more than offset any initial envy shown by your team, especially if you've already given them a chance to know you before they meet the truck. :)
Well said.

Small Town Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're way off base here. It takes a forward thinker to take a real hard look at their own image, and realize the decisions they make can affect their team. If anything, it is a more selfless point of view.

I chose a '20 F150 Lariat instead of a Raptor because of a similar hard conversation I had with myself about personal image and how I wanted others to perceive me in a new professional role.

I guess it depends on the industry. Driving clients around? Sure. Managerial position in an office environment, meh...arguable. 20+ yrs in the military, I can guarantee my guys/girls could care less what I drive.

If a car buying decision affects the cohesion of your team at work, you have much bigger problems - as other have suggested.