System off to save battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280 Raptor

Reaction score
So i've owned this 2020 for 3 weeks and really haven't taken it out much and last time it was driven was 7 days ago. I had to get something out of the truck this morning and this note appeared on the screen. The truck did start right up though.

I've searched the forum and determined I should not hook my battery charger to the negative terminal, rather a chassis mount. But....where in the engine compartment should I attached the negative battery charger terminal?IMG_0079[1].JPG

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Cold is settling in and batteries on their last leg are failing. Load test your battery. Not sure as to your question as I just attached the charger to the battery itself.

OP
OP
5280 Raptor

5280 Raptor

Reaction score
Cold is settling in and batteries on their last leg are failing. Load test your battery. Not sure as to your question as I just attached the charger to the battery itself.
from my reading it's not advised the hook the negative side of battery charger to the negative side of the battery . The suggestion is to hook the negative side of charger to the chassis but where is a good spot for that?

RogueClimber

Agent Orange
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from my reading it's not advised the hook the negative side of battery charger to the negative side of the battery . The suggestion is to hook the negative side of charger to the chassis but where is a good spot for that?
Car and Driver says connect to the negative...

What is the correct order of connection when charging my battery?

To begin charging, start by attaching the positive side of your battery to the positive lead (red). Next, connect the negative side to the negative lead (black). For disconnection, follows the same steps in reverse.

DaveInMn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The CORRECT way for charging the battery on F150s that have the BMS monitor:

Last edited:

DaveInMn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Informative....thank you. I guess it's not necessary to connect the negative terminal to a chassis ground source
When charging, it would be ok to connect the negative charger cable to a chassis "ground source" (metal engine or metal chassis attachment) as this would still force the circuit to be routed through the battery ground cable. Thus it would be "behind" the BMS sensor and have to run through the sensor. Just don't connect it "ahead" of the BMS; i.e. to the battery's negative post itself. Note: This rule pertains only to charging, not jumping to start....

Last edited:
OP
OP
5280 Raptor

5280 Raptor

Reaction score
When charging, it would be ok to connect the negative charger cable to a chassis "ground source" (metal engine or metal chassis attachment) as this would still force the circuit to be routed through the battery ground cable. Thus it would be "behind" the BMS sensor and have to run through the sensor. Just don't connect it "ahead" of the BMS; i.e. to the battery's negative post itself. Note: This rule pertains only to charging, not jumping to start....
^THIS^.........is correct. There is a lot of mis-information on the interweb.