Sync forgetting things and making me insane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmattdvc

Reaction score
I tried to post this over in electronics and didn't get any response so I thought I'd try here.

So I'm in a 2019 and about a month ago my sync started acting funny (version 3.4) It will forget things here and there. It's more of an annoyance than anything but its starting to become more of an issue.

It will forget its on Sirius/Xm and tune itself to AM or channel zero, refuses to remember a Wifi connection, won't keep breadcrumbs on the GPS and forget about POI's staying on. Its random how it does it but for the last week its been almost every start up. Worse when it sits for a few hours or overnight.

I had the battery tested and it tested ok. Paid the local Ford dealership 120 bucks for a diagnostic fee to be told it "could" be the Sync module but the only way to know as to drop $1200 for a new sync module and see if that fixed it.

Thoughts?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
A point of question; you have sync 3.4, but what version of sync 3.4

is it the Ford OEM ; either came with the truck, or obtained from the Ford site, or updated by Ford Stealership?

Or, is it the Russian hack version of 3.4 that us early adopters in the pre ’19 trucks are relegated to ( which I’ve not had any obvious problems with ).

Is it only settings that are being dropped, not radio station pre-sets, or phones, etc.?

You could try a sync master reset, and re-do everything you have now and evaluate.

It sounds to me like the module may be losing power/ground intermittently. Are there any DTC’s stored? You can use FORSCAN to check for - and clear codes.

resetting to AM is a common occurrence on battery disconnect...

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between the battery symptoms and the xm thing I’m guessing a plug is loose or poorly connecting. Has the truck been worked on by a dealer recently?

OP
OP
C

cmattdvc

Reaction score
A point of question; you have sync 3.4, but what version of sync 3.4

is it the Ford OEM ; either came with the truck, or obtained from the Ford site, or updated by Ford Stealership?

Or, is it the Russian hack version of 3.4 that us early adopters in the pre ’19 trucks are relegated to ( which I’ve not had any obvious problems with ).

Is it only settings that are being dropped, not radio station pre-sets, or phones, etc.?

You could try a sync master reset, and re-do everything you have now and evaluate.

It sounds to me like the module may be losing power/ground intermittently. Are there any DTC’s stored? You can use FORSCAN to check for - and clear codes.

resetting to AM is a common occurrence on battery disconnect...
No sir it’s the Ford download. I did it over the air. It’s been fine for several months. It started about four weeks ago.

And it does reset to AM or channel zero

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to post this over in electronics and didn't get any response so I thought I'd try here.

So I'm in a 2019 and about a month ago my sync started acting funny (version 3.4) It will forget things here and there. It's more of an annoyance than anything but its starting to become more of an issue.

It will forget its on Sirius/Xm and tune itself to AM or channel zero, refuses to remember a Wifi connection, won't keep breadcrumbs on the GPS and forget about POI's staying on. Its random how it does it but for the last week its been almost every start up. Worse when it sits for a few hours or overnight.

I had the battery tested and it tested ok. Paid the local Ford dealership 120 bucks for a diagnostic fee to be told it "could" be the Sync module but the only way to know as to drop $1200 for a new sync module and see if that fixed it.

Thoughts?
Look at this thread--its happening to alot of 2019's including mine!! I have not taken it to ford yet though!! Drives me crazy too, cause I like to keep in in dark mode and every single start its in auto and I have to go through all the questions again!

Sync 3 Memory Issue

STHenry

Reaction score
My 2018 went crazy about a year ago. The GPS was showing me driving 25 miles from actual location. The dealer ended up changing out the APIM or something like that. Hope it is not that. Mine was covered under the extended warranty but had to agree to pay if it had not been covered. Good luck.

debauch

Reaction score
I got a message for a new sync update today. I was on 3.4xxx (don’t remember what) and today’s update is version 3.4.2251. Maybe check for updates?