Sync 3 and Apple CarPlay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorguy07

Reaction score
Currently to utilize Apple CarPlay, you must have your phone plugged in via USB in the truck. Does anyone know if there are future plans/updates to use CarPlay without the phone needing to be connected with a cord?

socal805

Reaction score
Apple CarPlay is required to be plug in to usb in all cars that have it. From Bentleys to Hyundai.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Android Auto and Apple Car Play require you to connect via USB and considering the power consumption levels, why would you want it any other way

Delmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently iOS allows for wireless connection, it's up to the hardware to utilize it (at the expense of sound quality and battery life).

"Rumors have been circulating about wireless CarPlay since the software was included in the initial iteration of iOS 9. So far, there has not been any official hardware (i.e., car stereos) which will work with wireless CarPlay."

What's up with wireless Apple CarPlay?

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have difficulties with Apple Carplay disengaging while it's connected for no reason?
It isn't the cable or ports because I've tried 2 different newer cables and the charging on/off chime &
icon do not sound or flicker on my phone, so the charging remains undisturbed.

This happens randomly, even on smooth freeway drive.....

Could it possible be a setting on my phone like the "Do Not Disturb" setting? Very annoying.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone else have difficulties with Apple Carplay disengaging while it's connected for no reason?
It isn't the cable or ports because I've tried 2 different newer cables and the charging on/off chime &
icon do not sound or flicker on my phone, so the charging remains undisturbed.

This happens randomly, even on smooth freeway drive.....

Could it possible be a setting on my phone like the "Do Not Disturb" setting? Very annoying.

I’ve had that happen a few times since the last iOS update, but only when I first plug it in. Once it gets past that initial hiccup it’s fine.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently iOS allows for wireless connection, it's up to the hardware to utilize it (at the expense of sound quality and battery life).

"Rumors have been circulating about wireless CarPlay since the software was included in the initial iteration of iOS 9. So far, there has not been any official hardware (i.e., car stereos) which will work with wireless CarPlay."

What's up with wireless Apple CarPlay?

I thought there was one car company that has enabled wireless carplay, a European company if memory serves...

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Apple carplay in a BMW does not require a chord. It was a $300 option on my m2 and I believe it last 20 years. BMWs newer model will be $80 per year i believe

Yes, BMW. But carplay support costs extra and is subscription based.

charliebrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If memory serves; 2017 Porsche supports wireless CarPlay.

And yes, it too sometimes just quits and I have to plug in to get it to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc