Sync 1 to Sync 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08ak11

Reaction score
Hi All,
did some searching but came up empty handed here and on google.

I purchased a used 2011 Raptor, with the Sony Audio/Navigation unit. I have seen that folks with a Sync 2 MFT unit can upgrade to a Sync 3 unit, but is it possible to upgrade from this Sync 1 setup?

Thanks

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It isn't possible. Sync 1 is Microsoft-based while Sync 3 is Blackberry QNX-based. The hardware is completely different and only very recent MFT systems for particular vehicles can be upgraded from what I've seen. @FordIVTteam can maybe provide more details.

OP
OP

08ak11

Reaction score
I would assume new hardware at the very least but i dont know enough about them to know whether the microsoft software is deeper then just the headunit.

i guess i assume it's more a wireharness and/or some other systems sort of question. Given the unit deals with rear cam and climate control maybe its not possible because the rabbit hole goes to deep...thus the question for experts =)

thanks!

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Assuming that you do replace the hardware, I'm guessing you'd have been far better off simply going aftermarket with a system that supports iDatalink Maestro or similar to retain all the factory Sync controls. @The Car Stereo Company could probably provide datails on upgrading to later model OEM components or aftermarket.