Stripped preload collar - Fox 3.0 Live Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I am not sure if there is enough room in there, but on jeeps or regular coil springs I have had success using 2 ratchet straps, the kind you use to secure a dirtbike in a truck bed. Hook on as close to the top of the spring as you can then hook the ratcheting end to the lower control arm or lower end of the spring, then put some man juice on the ratchet. May be worth a shot anyway.

OP
OP
ryan505

ryan505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a spring compressor on the spring while it was loaded and then let it droop. Plenty of space between shock and collar. Turned very easy. Hopefully just the collar is messed up and that’s all you need to replace. Good luck

Which compressor? There’s no chance my standard run of the mill ones are gonna fit with that 3.0 center chamber.

OP
OP
ryan505

ryan505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even the instructions for the GEN1 doesn’t talk about compressing them when adjusting

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/dl/truck/manuals/605-01-071-revb-co-raptor-web.pdf

Its just from experience that anyone who has done it will tell you not to just loosen the pinch bolt and start cranking.

On the GEN1, the pinch bolt was in the back on the driver side so once you installed them you couldn’t get to it. So experience taught you to loosen the bolt and turn the retainer ring so you could reach it before they were installed.

I’m glad you are teaching me this, but jesus for $3k you’d think they could just add a line that says “hey, if you wanna preload, you are gonna need to do this thing...”

Frustrating to learn the hard way but so it goes.

OP
OP
ryan505

ryan505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t go cheap. I have a set of craftsman but I used them on my GEN1. I will eventually find out if they will fit a GEN2 as I have planned to upgrade the live shocks myself.

Any specific part numbers would be greatly appreciated. The trick will be finding something that can hook through the particularly narrow gaps in the springs without hitting the center shock tube. Those are the best I've seen that may do the trick but I dunno.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
ryan505

ryan505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Summit accepted my return on these a while back... I've just been waiting weeks on the back-ordered replacement set. Looks like July 30th now, kicked out from mid-June!

Running Geisers on the stock shocks for now.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Summit accepted my return on these a while back... I've just been waiting weeks on the back-ordered replacement set. Looks like July 30th now, kicked out from mid-June!

Running Geisers on the stock shocks for now.

Did they charge you to return them or were they considered defective?

kholding

Reaction score
Glad to hear. I was going to loose sleep tonight after reading this thread! I have always had good luck with Summit. The Costco of auto parts!