Stock Wheels/New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the video. I wouldn't have have expected that to use up the tires so completely, but obviously it did. I've had my truck in some rougher terrain, but I'm not tearing through it the way you are. I'm just poking along in comparison. I hope your next set, whichever ones they are, hold up better for you.

Thanks. Yeah, what makes it even more strange is mine were the only ones that got chewed up like that, and in addition, I've run most of that track layout previously (not quite as aggressively, but close) and not had a problem. That said, my friend with a 2019 who ran about as hard as I did didn't see any damage this time. That said, his previous set were torn up in the exact same way at TRR, which I made it through without problem.

:shrug:

JPW Colorado

Reaction score
Thank you for that very detailed explanation. I really appreciate the time you took to write it. I don't really want to increase the weight of each tire, but really what's another 20-30lbs overall in the grand scheme of things. If I can actually notice a better ride quality it's worth it. I'm definitely going to research your suggestions.
Thanks again!

Increasing sprung weight 20-30lbs on a 5700 lb vehicle, no issue. Increasing the UNSPRUNG weight (wheels & tires) will degrade handling all things being equal.

Tremek

Reaction score
I’m still running the KO2s at the dealership-set 50psi and frankly think the ride quality on my ‘19 is shockingly good considering, especially at 75+.

We put 50k miles over the past 3 years on 2 trucks (200 series Land Cruiser and 2500 Quadrasteer Suburban) both running 285/70/17 KO2s and only after 40k on the Land Cruiser’s set did I pull them off and put on Falken AT3Ws in the same size to try something different and because I never felt the Land Cruiser’s set of 5 balanced very well - but - they DID wear very well and I never had traction problems on dry, wet, snow, or ice (although get off the damn road period if it’s super icy) - and even off-road they were good.

In conclusion I think the KO2 is a great tire and I have had many that were far worse.

As for the Duratrac comment above, I had a triple locked 80 series Land Cruiser on them and while they were indeed great in snow and ice, they’re also unfortunately known for having weak sidewalls that are prone to taking damage off-road, whereas KO2s are known to be resilient off-road. One piece to consider if that matters for your usage.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I found the article I referenced earlier: https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

I'll be buying the Cooper ST Maxx soon. I'll be sure to update how it does. Did see this review looking around today:

68527073_446644186180591_3734806344016855040_n.png

ChrisK661

Reaction score
Lots of options. Being the excel nerd I am I made the attached to visualize some of the options. In case anyone is looking at options in the stock to 35 range this will help. Anyone have comment of the more narrow 11.25" wide options? Experience? Gets the weight down while being able to get a large diameter. This of course is my plan to upsize to 18" wheels. Thinking about rolling Cooper AT3 XLT at 285 75R18 or 35/12.5R18. 7 pounds lighter. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Tire wheel combo sizes pricing weight etc.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 14

ArcticRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KO2's are nearly completely bald now after 43K miles on my 2018. I just bought a 2020 and am putting the new KO2's from that truck on the 2018 since I sold it and told the dealership I sold it to that I'd get new tires for it. I have Toyo RT's going on the 2020 as soon as they arrive. The ATIII's look like a viable option now as well.

I'm not impressed with the KO2's, although I will give them a slight advantage on the ice compared to the Toyo's. I've gotten a lot longer life out of the Toyo's though.

ChrisK661

Reaction score
Just a few days in but the stock KO2’s have a cobble feel to them. Hoping they level out or I am going to be making a change quicker. 35-36 psi makes a big difference from the 50psi it showed up with. Still feels good though. Actually feels better on a dirt road than asphalt.