Steering Wheel Wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2018 802a with 46k miles. Just noticed today my steering wheel trim is showing some signs of wear - see pics. Anyone else having this issue? I wear my ring, but it’s pretty smooth.
Anyone painted or powder coated their wheel? Any pics?

39E4839E-2279-4A73-BC93-5DFAB7F484E2.jpeg

E383C10A-1475-4202-97F6-3660DB8CC4C0.jpeg

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eeeek! Can always buy a new one from a vendor on here or order some carbon fiber film and put that on.
Yeah... just bugs that the most common touch point on the truck isn’t a bit more robust than this. My previous F150 had a similar issue with the grey trim on the dash around the radio.
I am considering having the trim piece painted red to match the steering wheel stripe. Figured someone has done something like this.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've seen a couple guys complain about that area on the steering wheel. I'm sure somebody will chime in and offer some other ideas. Red sounds good though.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow that does look like excessive wear. Herd telling if it was caused by wearing a ring or for some reason the paint just didn't bond well on that particular piece?
I had 42K miles on my 2017 and had no visible wear like that, but I don't wear rings.

venraptav

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2017 802A with 39k miles. I’ve got the same wear/chipping etc as you. Also have some fading of the leather up by the the red stripe. I’ll most likely replace the whole wheel vs trying to touch up the plastic trim and dying? the leather. Seen OEM replacements with the correct options as my wheel for about $450.

RustyNutz

Reaction score
My 18k used truck had those areas worn smooth - no paint missing, but texture complely gone.
Since i hade the carbon fiber pack, i went with a stick-on overlay from amazon.

Its not the best fitting, but its extremely convincing faux carbon fiber, and a nice temp solution till my leather is worn enough to just replace the whole wheel. OEMs arent very expensive

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about having the trim piece coated or painted. Figured someone on the forum has done it.

whatever the paint or coating it apparently needs to be really tough.

Reaction score
The steering wheel in our trucks seemed to have an on going issue with the quality of the materials used to construct this things. Mine has signs of discoloration around the red leather strip and it has only 8k miles. The dealer will replace the whole steering wheel if it is under warranty. Perhaps if you have a good relationship with the dealer they might hook you up if you are out of warranty.

RustyNutz

Reaction score
Someone did post a beautiful interior that they gloss blacked all the grey texture paint. Ive been debating it, the gloss black trim in the wifies odyssey looks sweet, and I think I'd prefer slick gloss over the wierd texture they put on the center console, radio bezels and whatnot

this is what i put on the wheel. meh fitment (creaks a bit still if you push on certain areas) but looks great
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2NLCRS/?tag=fordraptorforum-20