Steering wheel phone controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do we really need the entire screen that's basically just mirroring your phone screen? Just my personal opinion but I liked the extra tab on screen when I test drove a new F150. Gave me multiple options in that tab for things to also pull up. I can see where some people might not like it but maybe they'll push out an update later this year that lets you slide the tab all the back back. Seems like an easy fix

Do you really need 14” of travel in your suspension. My guess is less than 90% of people that buy Raptors need that. Do you really need ventilated seats? No, we don’t “need” any of that stuff just like we don’t need a full CarPlay screen but anything that you can have on that 2nd screen can be shown in the main gauge cluster. Then you have the wasted screen real estate on the bottom and top as well. It’s just sloppy. Just like not putting a hang up button on their steering wheel. You don’t need it but it’s sloppy.

Edit: My wife’s Camry has similar tiles like the F150 but when I click on one of those tiles it then goes full screen. They essentially function like widgets and I’m ok with that. But when it’s time to go into CarPlay it’s full screen.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you really need 14” of travel in your suspension. My guess is less than 90% of people that buy Raptors need that. Do you really need ventilated seats? No, we don’t “need” any of that stuff just like we don’t need a full CarPlay screen but anything that you can have on that 2nd screen can be shown in the main gauge cluster. Then you have the wasted screen real estate on the bottom and top as well. It’s just sloppy. Just like not putting a hang up button on their steering wheel. You don’t need it but it’s sloppy.

Edit: My wife’s Camry has similar tiles like the F150 but when I click on one of those tiles it then goes full screen. They essentially function like widgets and I’m ok with that. But when it’s time to go into CarPlay it’s full screen.
I mean yea 14" of travel is the whole point of buying an off-road truck? The starbucks cruisers aside, that's why we bought Raptors am I right? Ventilated seats hell yea, that **** gets hot in the summer.. Guess I'm just not offended as much by loosing "screen real estate". Also just as easy of a fix with a heckin software update, can't really update the suspension over the air

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean yea 14" of travel is the whole point of buying an off-road truck? The starbucks cruisers aside, that's why we bought Raptors am I right? Ventilated seats hell yea, that **** gets hot in the summer.. Guess I'm just not offended as much by loosing "screen real estate". Also just as easy of a fix with a heckin software update, can't really update the suspension over the air

12” of navigation or radio is the whole point of having 12” of screen real estate.

That being said, I agree it should be an easy OTA update. It’s just whether or not Ford will do it.

I think you’re the first person I’ve talked to that would prefer the way Ford has done it. I get it. We both have different tastes and to some it’s not a big deal and others it is. But when you throw out “do we need” full screen it’s just kinda dumb. This whole ******* truck is luxury item that we want and not need.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
12” of navigation or radio is the whole point of having 12” of screen real estate.

That being said, I agree it should be an easy OTA update. It’s just whether or not Ford will do it.

I think you’re the first person I’ve talked to that would prefer the way Ford has done it. I get it. We both have different tastes and to some it’s not a big deal and others it is. But when you throw out “do we need” full screen it’s just kinda dumb. This whole ******* truck is luxury item that we want and not need.
I probably should have used a different word than "need", but I guess the point I was just trying to get across is I didn't have an issue with it. I also am coming from a truck with absolutely no technology, the most I have is an AM/FM radio and 2 knobs for hot/cold are and fan speed lol. So it's a gigantic improvement from what I am used to and I don't have anything else to compare it too. I just enjoyed being able to use nav and also control the radio on the same screen but I can see how if you want to use Apple Car play and google maps that it might be kind of annoying you cant full screen. Then again the new Sync 4 even when you subtract the extra side tab is still larger than the Gen 2 screens? Overall improvements everywhere and hopefully they can update over the air to give everyone the option if they want to slide the tabs over

ScrumHooker

Reaction score

I'm in love with the sync 4 system, but I did find it weird that I could full-screen the truck's onboard nav, but not my carplay nav. Hopefully it is just an oversight that could be solved with an OTA update like you said.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I would also think a software update for a push and hold could be possible for a phone disconnect button on the wheel.

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also think a software update for a push and hold could be possible for a phone disconnect button on the wheel.
Meh, Ford knew what they were removing when they designed the wheel. They didn't forget to add a phone button. They sacrificed it to be able to have the steering, suspension, and exhaust controls. I would rather have those on the wheel then on the screen, lol. My money is no change is coming to allow hanging up the phone or muting the radio from the wheel.

Floyd554

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly the bright white side tab is annoying. I changed Android Auto and the Sync 4 UI both to night mode (rather than auto) and it is a lot better in my opinion.
Just picked mine up yesterday. Hated the “day” screen. When I drove it last night the “night” screen came on and looks great. I changed my settings today to keep it in the “night” screen.

CenTexRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh, Ford knew what they were removing when they designed the wheel. They didn't forget to add a phone button. They sacrificed it to be able to have the steering, suspension, and exhaust controls. I would rather have those on the wheel then on the screen, lol. My money is no change is coming to allow hanging up the phone or muting the radio from the wheel.
I have had my Raptor in the shop a couple of times since I got it mid-January. All the low-end loaners they give me have a phone button on the steering wheel. Often it uses the "Selecting a Radio Station" buttons as "double duty" since there is no point of using that for radio when in the midst of answering or ending a call. I had hoped the same functionality was on my Raptor, but just not marked, but no such luck. This is just dumb. Is this something they can do with a programming update?