Starter Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anybody experienced any starter issues?

This started about a month ago. There was one occasion where I went to use the remote start, and instead I heard a LOUD grinding noise! It started the second time, so I thought maybe it was a strange fluke.

Well last week, it did the same thing... so I went out to the truck to start it, and it did this 5 MORE TIMES! I thought it was done for... then it started on the 6th try. I'm retarded, and didn't think to video at the time!

Well, again this morning... grinded once, started the second time. Clearly my starter is going bad. The only problem is, like my electrical gremilns, this is hit and miss and not always easy to reproduce. Do you think the dealer will investigate purely based on my description, or will they try to reproduce and start my truck a million times in the process?

My next goal is getting this noise on film with my iPhone... the noise is incredible! Probably wakes the neighbors up.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anybody experienced any starter issues?

This started about a month ago. There was one occasion where I went to use the remote start, and instead I heard a LOUD grinding noise! It started the second time, so I thought maybe it was a strange fluke.

Well last week, it did the same thing... so I went out to the truck to start it, and it did this 5 MORE TIMES! I thought it was done for... then it started on the 6th try. I'm retarded, and didn't think to video at the time!

Well, again this morning... grinded once, started the second time. Clearly my starter is going bad. The only problem is, like my electrical gremilns, this is hit and miss and not always easy to reproduce. Do you think the dealer will investigate purely based on my description, or will they try to reproduce and start my truck a million times in the process?

My next goal is getting this noise on film with my iPhone... the noise is incredible! Probably wakes the neighbors up.

Mine did this last week - it was only a week old at the time (150 miles maybe?). Scared the crap out of me. It hasn't done it since. I can't say that it was the starter for sure, but that's what it sounded like.

I'm very interested in what you find.

OP
OP
BlueSVT

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine did this last week - it was only a week old at the time (150 miles maybe?). Scared the crap out of me. It hasn't done it since. I can't say that it was the starter for sure, but that's what it sounded like.

I'm very interested in what you find.
Freaking loud, isn't it?!?!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Freaking loud, isn't it?!?!

Yup, and it's not like you can just stop it like when it happens on an older style car where the computer doesn't control the starter. I honestly wasn't sure what it was, but when I read your thread I figured that yup, that is what it sounded like.

I've also had a time or two when it just honks and doesn't start. I know I read about that on another thread before I got my truck, but I haven't re-read it or looked into it.

OP
OP
BlueSVT

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup, and it's not like you can just stop it like when it happens on an older style car where the computer doesn't control the starter. I honestly wasn't sure what it was, but when I read your thread I figured that yup, that is what it sounded like.

I've also had a time or two when it just honks and doesn't start. I know I read about that on another thread before I got my truck, but I haven't re-read it or looked into it.
If you're using the key, you actually CAN interrupt it... but not with the remote start, a good full second of loud ass grinding!

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i had it happen one time so far in 3,000 miles. i was at work an prior to dressing down popped my head out to start it an warm up......it sounded like metal grinding i freaked out thought it was my starter ,tried it again after looking an everything seemed ok an nothing thing started right up.......it scared the ever loving god out of me seriously not something i want to hear my truck do again

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that the dealer is going to try and reproduce it in order to diagnose it. That's how 50% of their issues are resolved. The other 50% is "sorry, couldn't reproduce the issue so we adjusted this *BS*"

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
sounds like flat spot on the flexplate. I had an 04 that would grind from time to time after two starters exploded decided to look closer and found two flat spot on the flexplate. Seen it happen randomly from time to time. It might not be but ya never know.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sounds like flat spot on the flexplate. I had an 04 that would grind from time to time after two starters exploded decided to look closer and found two flat spot on the flexplate. Seen it happen randomly from time to time. It might not be but ya never know.

But on a one week old truck?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try and reproduce it. If it wont act up then just replace the starter and inspect the flex plate when the starters out. About how I'd go about it... Really nothing else you can do/test, can't fix a problem if its not there at the time.