start up noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just signed on with my iPhone to ask the same exact question. I've only got 2500 miles on my truck and it makes the same sound every once in a while. Only cold start. And I only really notice it when I'm outside of the truck

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

it is a different noise than the one described in that link. more like a missed shift gear grind. only not that loud .

Same here... Same sound as if the transmit in knocks in or the 4x4 system hits a little rough. Only the sound comes from the engine compartment

OP
OP
wanderfalk

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does something like this. It's always sounded like the starter to me.

yes but the truck has already started and run a bit. the fan is electric so don't know if a clutch enployed.

Raptor_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone figure this out? I got to see where the noise was coming from for a split second. It looked to be in the area of the tensioner for the belt. Any ideas?

OP
OP
wanderfalk

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone figure this out? I got to see where the noise was coming from for a split second. It looked to be in the area of the tensioner for the belt. Any ideas?

It sounds like something that is engaging in a harsh manner. Always does it on the first start up,but sometimes it does not do it when warmed up..

OP
OP
wanderfalk

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC compressor ! ( Normal Noise ) :sad72:

that sounds right because it is a delayed sound. is there a way to shut down a/c on remote start so one can confirm. why does it do it on some occasions and not others. the chap that heard it from the belt tensioner area would seem to confirm a/c engagement sound. how the heck did you know what it was and why do only certain people notice it ? it really makes a grinding sound that just does not sound right . the sound reminds one of a beginner grinding manual gears on a standard shift.