Squirrels.....Game On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cherry Ghost

Reaction score
This happened to me twice in one month some years back.

What I did: go to the local farm/feed store and buy some coyote *****. They also sell small plastic bottles with predrilled holes and a cotton ball for like .99. Put the ***** in the bottle and somehow stick the bottle inside the engine bay. I use Velcro or zip ties.

I know this sounds like a joke solution but I assure you it’s not. I’ve never had another squirrel problem since.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would it work if the ***** was just on the ground around the truck opposed to inside the engine bay?

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you could get squirrels scared of you you could pis on the tires every time you park it. Maybe they are already scarred

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would it work if the ***** was just on the ground around the truck opposed to inside the engine bay?

My guess would be you'd need to reapply the ***** more frequently if you did that. Not sure what interval. And since you like the animals in general, I'd ask about what other animals would be scared off and for what distance. This may be too strong of a deterrent.

The other thing I'd look at is enclosing your car port. You can get bird netting for pretty cheap, but I'm not sure that would keep the squirrels out. If you fully walled it off, you'd also have the benefit of protecting the truck from the elements.

Lacajun25

Reaction score
How far in the country are you? I mean are the neighbors close enough that you couldn’t sit outside and just have target practice with a bb/pellet gun?

There are recordings of hawks/predators that you can buy. I’d think if you hook up something to a motion detector, it would prevent them from coming near the truck. Maybe give them ptsd so you don’t have to keep dealing with some screeching hawk sound forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you’re close enough for WiFi pick up an Amazon blink system or spare cameras if you already have one. Set sensitivity and IR to highest. I’m guessing you would need about four cameras two pointing towards the bottom looking up two from the top looking down

Once you see the squirrel get into the truck you’ll need to chase it out but at some point you’re going to have to deal with that squirrel and the entire overpopulation of squirrels.

Redsky13

Reaction score
I had squirrel/field mice eating transfer case wire harness (like you, been parking in same spot for years). Anyway, tried a couple of things and this electronic device has solved the problem for the last 18 months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073DZ1SCN/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Mounted with Velcro vertically near upper rear of passenger side under hood area - ran the attached LED wire down into the pan under the transfer case (you can see it flashing at night). Ran extra LED around front of radiator trim over to driver side. I change up the sound/light options every month or so (three settings). Working like a charm so far. Good luck.

VelociRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s only with Fords, stupid company uses environmentally friendly materials for wire harnesses which are like magnets for squirrels and rats.
I care less about the environment when my money is blown out the window because of it...

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are going about this the wrong way. I mean, the truck comes with 450 horsepower. Now you can add 1 to 2 squirrel power to the bottom line. You would have to dyno the truck to verify the gains, but historically cross breeding has produced improvements in strength and longevity.

3872604593_e748475119.jpg