Some Newbie Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My dad just got a 19 802a with moon roof, tailgate step, what look to be bead lock wheels $1895 etrra, carbon fiber and technology package. It was my dream truck and when I was home for the holidays I pulled over at a dealer to show him and you can guess the rest. Right now I have an 08 wrangler JKU that I got new and Im taking it to 200k so Im planning on raptor in about 2-3 years as my next. I'm also a mod on the JK-Forum.

Just a few quick questions since we like to work on our own trucks. I couldn't really get a straight answer by searching around.

I run KM2's on my JKU. Huge BF fan. I run mine at 28psi and it's a 305 not 315 like these. Is 38psi the starting point for finding the sweet spot? Maybe someone can post their numbers?

Don't laugh but my JKU has grease-able stuff on it. Anything on this? We were both Jeep and Chevy guys before. Just asking if there is anything I should be looking to do lubrication. I like to develop routines and check lists for myself when I'm doing oil changes ect...

Speaking of Oil Change, will the Mobile 1 Full Synthetic 5w-30 box from costco be just fine for the changes? and OEM oil filter? Maybe some type of valve on oil filter so only OEM? I only run OEM filters on my vehicle but if there is an added benefit to the Mobile 1 filter I'd want to know about it.

The back of the bed isn't lined with anything. He will need to go out and have this done. Rhino line? Line X? Something else? Never got it done but on any of my next vehicles I certainly will. Anyone do any of this? Are there any under carriage, under fender flare, rear handle ect places that should get this coating also? Figure if you are gonna get the bed done it would be a little cheaper to get other areas done too. What are you guys doing to prevent a rust situation on an expensive vehicle? It's gonna be at a beach area a lot and rust is an issue here.

Anyone else that wrenches on these themselves I'd appreciate any info or advice. Thanks in advance. We will be looking into some lighting installs next.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I run KM2's on my JKU. Huge BF fan. I run mine at 28psi and it's a 305 not 315 like these. Is 38psi the starting point for finding the sweet spot? Maybe someone can post their numbers?

If you’re talking the stock Rap KO2’s 38 cold is the recommended pressure, but that’s for street use. For kicking around town I’m ok with down to about 36 front 34 rear. Some go a little lower than this but I am talking street pressures. If you are not as concerned about tire life and mpg you could probably be ok with 34-35 front 31-32 rear. it will be a lot more compliant, but I wouldn’t load the truck with pressure that low in the rear. Remember, the Rap is ~5700 pounds wet.

Speaking of Oil Change, will the Mobile 1 Full Synthetic 5w-30 box from costco be just fine for the changes? and OEM oil filter? Maybe some type of valve on oil filter so only OEM? I only run OEM filters on my vehicle but if there is an added benefit to the Mobile 1 filter I'd want to know about it.

The Rap manuals have gone back and forth between requiring full synthetic, and full or semi synthetic. I run full synthetic and have blackstone analyze the oil. I don’t know of any benefit to the M1 filter.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ok perfect he has all of them at 38 right now. First oil change will be before 2k. I've ordered him a top sider fluid extractor which by the way works great for tranny fluid also. Love mine. I think the mighty Vacc might have a bigger diameter hose so it could be faster.

He also wants the power mirrors to close when the vehicle is off. I am seeing I will need a programmer of some kind. I run a superchips so Im familiar with them. Just looking for something someone knows is compatible with a 19.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the lincoln style mirrors (ie auto fold when doors locked) you need the software Forscan, which is free. Beyond that a laptop and OBD2 scanner so nothing fancy. I used a $30 OHP ELMconfig ELM327. Lots of threads about it on the forum.

I'm running about 34 psi on the street. Bedliner Line-x is popular some do the fender liners as well. For the undercoating ya some have done it I use a heavy application of locally sourced mud to protection the undercarriage from road salt during winter.

My truck came with synthetic blend so I switched to full synthetic which the dealership recommended as well.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As mentioned above

36F 34R delivers a nice ride on road. 38 all around is a little rough and bouncy on rough roads and potholes. 38 in the rears just seems to high for many reasons.

Do a spray in bed liner like Linex.

Full synthetic

Search the forum regarding forscan

Power fold Linc mirrors are nice!

This should get you going. Enjoy

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/mobilebasic

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...DFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/htmlview#gid=815852466

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Raptorrunner2019

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forscan is the tool for basic mods. It can also shut off the horn honk while running and do some other nice features like disable of auto start/stop.

recommendation to change intercooler and leaf springs at minimum for perfect truck/feel. Stock intercooler is subpar compared to a $500-600 aftermarket.

If you want a winch you will probably need to go with FMIC.
good luck and welcome!

19Stripper

Reaction score
I had a 2013 FX4 ecoboost before the raptor. Started hearing timing chain rattle on every start up at 63k miles (go figure, no ESP). Switched to Mobil 1 oil while keeping the factory filter and never heard rattle again. Traded for the raptor at 120k miles... dont know if it was the oil or chance but it was enough to make me use only Mobil 1 with the factory filter in the dinosaur.

NV Paul

Reaction score
The quality oil of your choice just changes it often. I have 2020 and just did my first change at 1150 miles, first oil change is really important. I sent the oil into Blackstone for analysis yesterday and will post the results. I will not let oil changes go beyond 5000 miles, I live in the high desert so pretty harsh environment. Oil is cheaper than repairs by far., these trucks only take 6 quarts.

Search for forscan to make the programming changes to the truck. I changed the horn honk when you get out of the vehicle with the keys, that was so annoying. And made it so I can use navigation while driving. The Lincon style folding mirrors are cool but consider your environment. Some users commented that the mirrors would freeze in the closed position overnight. We can get wet snow followed by a hard freeze in the same night so I skipped those. Learned to use the mirror fold button. Congrats enjoy the truck!

pfred

Reaction score
Congrats OP. Just my 2 cents on line-x. I used to do my trucks with line-x. On my last 2 trucks, I just bought the $100 Dee Zee Heavyweight bed mat on day 1.It’s cheaper and easier to clean.

My experience with Line-x while it looks nice right away, it tends to get dirty and lose its “shine” (i even tried the premium package which is fade resistant). I also got tired of writing the $600 check.. Plus when crawling around the bed it hurts!

I had one of my dogs get sick in the back of my last F150 that was line-x’d and it stained permanently. I ended up putting a rubber mat down for the dogs and never looked back.