GEN 2 SKID Plate Tip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is a tip I learned when I took off my skid plate to run my Baja Designs lighting wires. (I put it in wrong initially, went in just fine.)

The bar at the rear of the skid plate is labeled "bottom" so you know which way to orient the bar. It needs to go in correctly in order to protect the steering gear properly.

So when you are putting your skid plate back on, look for the writing on the steering gear protection bar.

Also, be careful when putting it back on, I stripped one of the front bolts and quick nuts and it was hard for the dealer to order the correct replacement parts. Get a few extras as I suspect this will happen to more than just me.

Dredlin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a tip I learned when I took off my skid plate to run my Baja Designs lighting wires. (I put it in wrong initially, went in just fine.)

The bar at the rear of the skid plate is labeled "bottom" so you know which way to orient the bar. It needs to go in correctly in order to protect the steering gear properly.

So when you are putting your skid plate back on, look for the writing on the steering gear protection bar.

Also, be careful when putting it back on, I stripped one of the front bolts and quick nuts and it was hard for the dealer to order the correct replacement parts. Get a few extras as I suspect this will happen to more than just me.

Very good info for everybody who has to take the skid plate off.
Before I took mine off I sprayed the bolts with HD silicone oil. And then put anti seize on the bolts before reassembly. Start all the bolts by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk