Side Mirror Cracked - Input Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need some input. I was folding out my mirrors the other day.(by pressing the button) As I have done everyday since I have had the truck. I heard a crack. Looking to see what happened it looks like the mirror casing somehow got pinched and caused it to crack. You can see the photos below. As well as the passenger side as reference to see what it should look like. I called my local Ford dealership and they said it would be tough to get it covered by warranty. Here is my issue. This is 100% factory error. I opened my mirrors with the button. This is the result. If you see the way it cracked there is no other possible way it could have done so outside of some sort of failure of fastener, or bracket, etc. It wasn’t impacted while driving etc. Any thoughts would be very helpful.
F50411FF-2393-4727-BFA1-27820DD28C8F.jpeg
E8BF1760-37EB-4112-A35F-D38F327296C6.jpeg
5B4DC487-A2B8-4F88-8B6E-89C416CA7902.jpeg

RaptorFun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong! It should not be “tough to get it covered by warranty”. Once your dealer examines the mirror...Ford will warranty the part and labor needed to resolve the issue. This is assuming you’re within the 3 year/36000 mile factory warranty or have the extended warranty like Premium Care. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
BSP10

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong! It should not be “tough to get it covered by warranty”. Once your dealer examines the mirror...Ford will warranty the part and labor needed to resolve the issue. This is assuming you’re within the 3 year/36000 mile factory warranty or have the extended warranty like Premium Care. Good luck and keep us posted.

I am, the truck is less than a year old. I am taking to the dealership tomorrow. The tech I spoke with didn't sound very confident he could get it done. I hope once he sees it he will realize its a factory error, not due to damage while driving or user error. Will keep you posted on the outcome.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree that that should be covered. As you said, there's nothing to indicate that the mirror was struck by something to cause the damage.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you sure its cracked and not "unsnapped" from the retainer? Did you try to snap it back in? Looks like something hit it to me. But that's just what i see.

side mirror_LI (2).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BSP10

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you sure its cracked and not "unsnapped" from the retainer? Did you try to snap it back in? Looks like something hit it to me. But that's just what i see.

View attachment 161007

Definitely cracked. You can see the cracks and bends on multiple parts. And that is not an impact. I can get the unit to "snap in" a little closer, but there is still a 1/4 inch gap because the plastic has been bent and won't allow the unit to fully snap back together. what you are seeing is where it now rubs when I try to put the mirrors in the driving position.

In addition how would something impact that? Unless I was driving 60 down the highway with my mirrors folded....which I have never done. (I'm not sure anyone has, hahaha). Remember the I heard the crack when I extended the mirror to its driving position. Furthermore that scratch is flush with the surface, it wouldnt cause the mirror to catch and snap out, when folding back out.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not arguing with you. Something could have hit it while you where parked and they where folded in. If something hit it, caused it to unsnap and you unfolded the mirror it’s gonna bind up and make a noise.

OP
OP
BSP10

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not arguing with you. Something could have hit it while you where parked and they where folded in. If something hit it, caused it to unsnap and you unfolded the mirror it’s gonna bind up and make a noise.

I totally agree with you, def a possibility. I was just being sarcastic about driving down the road with the mirrors folded in. Not Arguing at all. The only thing is this happened with my car parked in my driveway overnight. So I am 99% confident something didn't hit it and cause it to unsnap. Ultimately I am just hoping Ford does the right thing and warranties it.