Shakin' while Brakin'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

dleclerc27

Reaction score
Ok....The rotor is held in place with the lug nuts. and is sandwiched between the hub and the wheel. An uneven surface on the wheel, front if the rotor, back of the rotor, or the spinal all being held by the lug nuts. Can cause the rotor to warp, once they are warped there is nothing you can do except replace them. make sure all your surfaces are clean and true.
I didn't want you to think you clean up the back of the wheel and it will go way. LOL that is not the case.
Haha, thank you for the clarity. I knew the brake setup well enough but that you were inferring that gunk could've pooled somewhere and unbalanced it somehow. It happened to my sister's Audi when she got snow stuck between a few spokes of the rim and it was enough to make her car shudder. Thanks again for the guidance!

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Have you had specific ones you like? Looks like I'm about to be in the market!
Here is the long answer. My truck has 55k miles on it. I recently decided to change the front brakes myself at 55k, and to my surprise the stock pads had at least 40% left in them and the rotors were flawless. I could have gotten easily another 20k miles out of these stock pads and probably 100k miles out of the rotors. I was honestly impressed with the OEM quality. For a truck this heavy to have the pads last this long was impressive. Wife has a range rover full size and the brake pads on those barely last 20k miles. Same with my GMC yukon, they never last more than 25k miles. So I changed both the pads and rotors and went with OEM. I heard other members talk about Power Stop being a good brand, but based on the mileage I got out of the OEM brakes, they appear to be very high quality.

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went through everything you are describing and just replaced pads and rotors with the powerstop kit. Shakes all went away. I wont try to track down or question the issue again I'll just replace rotors and pads. Easy peasy couple hours and some beers in the driveway

OP
OP
D

dleclerc27

Reaction score
Went through everything you are describing and just replaced pads and rotors with the powerstop kit. Shakes all went away. I wont try to track down or question the issue again I'll just replace rotors and pads. Easy peasy couple hours and some beers in the driveway
Most excellent! I just ordered the powerstop rotors today and I will report back! Glad you got your issue sorted and more glad that you cranked brewskis. Thanks for the input!

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck, easy job just might want to hit the caliper bolts with some PB blaster a couple days before you plan to tackle the job. Those bolts are TIGHT. Replace all the rubber boots/seals on the guide rails and pack them with grease. I used more grease than what was supplied. Torque everything down to spec's, should be good to go.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Aftermarket wheels (no cutouts around lug) with the factory rotor retainer? I've seen it...

1716591865031.png