Sept 7 and 8th Joshua Tree National Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E63

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should me and my stock(other then mid perch and ADD bumper) be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Stock raptor is a formidable off road beast, personally I did frame support before nailing my first speed bump. Since then I have been on many runs with several participants with no enhancements and they did fine. You will needed to adjust you're speed to what you feel is safe. We will go and move at the pace of the slowest, waiting at trail junctions and communicating via radios.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haha yeah we've got the lot of the forum members running around proclaiming to be OG's (Blind1 and SVT Don have taken to calling them "Office Guys" posing as Gangsta's) but you actually go by G..... Originally lol.

OP
OP
E63

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock raptor is a formidable off road beast, personally I did frame support before nailing my first speed bump. Since then I have been on many runs with several participants with no enhancements and they did fine. You will needed to adjust you're speed to what you feel is safe. We will go and move at the pace of the slowest, waiting at trail junctions and communicating via radios.

Got it, tanks
G

figjamy

Reaction score
Yes, that was the loop I saw right at Pleasant Valley. Right A few questions for you:
How was Fried Liver Wash? Never went there.
What was your favorite spots, say if you wanted to show a friend some cool places in the Park? Like I said, I'm not an expert there, but some pretty cool rock formations in the hidden valley area.
What areas were not worth the trouble and should be avoided or skipped? You can do everything in a day so see for yourself. Their idea of "off roading" is different than anyone that owns a raptor.

I will post up where we end up staying, right now it is leaning towards a cluster of hotels and restaurants in Palm Desert, near Indian Wells Resort Hotel, and a Marriott across the street. My favorite place out there, But the bar is currently being renovated so I might suggest elsewhere. Walking distance to a couple BBq places, Tilted Kilt etc. if you want sight seeing, check out the Nest.

If going up Berdoo Canyon, which is the best trail, pay attention to the weather and your radar. Don't be in that canyon if it starts to rain. I suggest an early start. Its about an hour to an hour and a half to get through the canyon to the top where it flattens out. We had light isolated rain at the top when we went which made for some perfect dustless terrain.

Have fun. I'll probably have to catch you on the next one. Greg

OP
OP
E63

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that was the loop I saw right at Pleasant Valley. Right A few questions for you:
How was Fried Liver Wash? Never went there.
What was your favorite spots, say if you wanted to show a friend some cool places in the Park? Like I said, I'm not an expert there, but some pretty cool rock formations in the hidden valley area.
What areas were not worth the trouble and should be avoided or skipped? You can do everything in a day so see for yourself. Their idea of "off roading" is different than anyone that owns a raptor.

I will post up where we end up staying, right now it is leaning towards a cluster of hotels and restaurants in Palm Desert, near Indian Wells Resort Hotel, and a Marriott across the street. My favorite place out there, But the bar is currently being renovated so I might suggest elsewhere. Walking distance to a couple BBq places, Tilted Kilt etc. if you want sight seeing, check out the Nest.

If going up Berdoo Canyon, which is the best trail, pay attention to the weather and your radar. Don't be in that canyon if it starts to rain. I suggest an early start. Its about an hour to an hour and a half to get through the canyon to the top where it flattens out. We had light isolated rain at the top when we went which made for some perfect dustless terrain.

Have fun. I'll probably have to catch you on the next one. Greg

Greg, Thanks for the insight, as it works out, that is exactly what we will do and hit Berdoo Canyon 1st thing.

There are some who may have concerns if this is a Boys only event, far from it. It is open to all, I know several are bringing Wives, Girlfriends and some may be bringing kids. Hopefully I can get one of my kids to come along as well. Great opportunity to bond with your kids and their friends.

Last edited:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you, but that is not the only purpose of this run. I have never visited Joshua Tree Park but have been all over Anza. Day 2 we will shred Ocotillo and into Anza.

Me and a few others are going to Joshua so we opened it up to others that wish to go. You are more than welcome to join us for day 2, may be more your liking. For me I enjoy all sorts of terrain. Seeing places I have never or could never see, high speed twisties, getting air, killing it through the whoops and challenging occasional rock crawls (realizing my Screw is no Jeep, even with my Sliders...) This trip will never equal SVTBlue's Death Valley trip, but its closer, shorter and a new adventure.

I should mention the latest weather reports for next weekend 20-30% chance of thunderstorms, so besides the high temps and high humidity rain may present additional challenges for both our trucks and passengers. I am not a fan of mud, I prefer my dirt dry thank you, besides it kills time pulling the other guy out and its a bitch to clean the undersides, but a Raptor gotta go where the trail takes us, good weather or not, well within reason.:peace:

Thanks for the response.

I didn't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for your run or your invite - just wanted to help set expectations and let folks to know the trails in Joshua Tree that I know (there are many I'm not familiar with) are on the rocky, slow-speed, Jeep-type trails. I don't know of any higher-speed trails in JT but they could exist.

Have a great time and keep an eye out for rain/"monsoonal moisture"

OP
OP
E63

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

I didn't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for your run or your invite - just wanted to help set expectations and let folks to know the trails in Joshua Tree that I know (there are many I'm not familiar with) are on the rocky, slow-speed, Jeep-type trails. I don't know of any higher-speed trails in JT but they could exist.

Have a great time and keep an eye out for rain/"monsoonal moisture"

Thanks Dan,

Day 2 will be a fast paced run on the backside of the Salton sea via Bradshaw Trail, plan is to stop at Salvation Mountain, and the bubbling Mud Pits, then to Ocotillo and Anza. Its a fun slice of desert, as you indicate that is made for what our Raptors were built for.

Last edited:

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Dan,

Day 2 will be a fast paced run on the backside of the Salton sea via Bradshaw Trail, plan is to stop at Superstition Mountain, and the bubbling Mud Pits, then to Ocotillo and Anza. Its a fun slice of desert, as you indicate that is made for what our Raptors were built for.

I ******* love the Bradshaw Trail. I wish we were doing this Saturday instead of Sunday

OP
OP
E63

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ******* love the Bradshaw Trail. I wish we were doing this Saturday instead of Sunday

Bout shit myself the first I ran it with no sway bar on the Screw, Scarry. One person in our group got to hot and went off the trail, just a few scratches, he was lucky. A great test for loose smooth dirt driving skills. I have a lot more seat time and improved suspension since last time I ran it.

Also I apologize I incorrectly stated "Superstition Mountain in earlier post, I meant Salvation Mountain.
36255478.jpg

OP
OP
E63

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I exported the many recorded and copied trails from my Lowrance and dragged the .gpx file into Google earth. Had some fun this evening reminiscing all the great trips. several of which were led by friend Matt Richards, SVTBlue - great tour guide for Outlaw.

Day 2 is one of Matt's creation, I helped on a couple of these pre-runs, but this was all him. So Thanks Matt, can't wait to do it again and spread the love.

Here is snapshot from 15,000 feet, It is going to be a blast

Day2_zpse2e595b5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]