Seeking Advice on Wheels - Stock vs. Venom Rex 601 20"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaptalk

Reaction score
Hi -
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Venom Rex 601 20" in Mystic Black and add Toyo AT3 tires. I currently have the upgraded forged wheels that come with the carbon fiber package on my Gen 3. Any downside to moving to the 20"? Will it affect anything performance related to suspension or accurate odometer read?

Thanks.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the truck ever see dirt? Or will it just be parked on main street and Stein Eriksen? If it's a pavement princess then you won't notice moving to the 20's making any difference. If you plan to off-road the truck, then you will notice a rougher ride due to less sidewall from the larger diameter wheel. If you off road the truck, stick with 17's. If it's just a talking piece for your buddies, then get the 20's.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi -
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Venom Rex 601 20" in Mystic Black and add Toyo AT3 tires. I currently have the upgraded forged wheels that come with the carbon fiber package on my Gen 3. Any downside to moving to the 20"? Will it affect anything performance related to suspension or accurate odometer read?

Thanks.
As long as your staying with the stock diameter the odometer or speedometer readings will stay the same. Downside is a harsher ride, and little less off road capability.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I ran 20s in the dirt fine. Depends on what kind of off roading you do.

Make sure you get zero offset on whichever wheel you choose.

FmaxTurboSi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20's will decrease ride quality. OEM wheels are 17's and come with c rated tires. So the oem setup will have more sidewall and a softer sidewall, so the OEM setup is more plush.

The more agressive offset you go with, meaning the more the wheel sticks out from the truck, will also decrease ride quality.

Heavier wheels and tires are going to effect ride quality, as well effect acceleration and braking.

Anybody who tells you otherwise is lying. It's physics.

So it all depends on how much of a difference you're willing to tolerate. It might not even make that big of a difference to you. We all have our own preferences.

Mxsledder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi -

Thanks.
I put those exact wheels on mine and noticed a very slight decrease in ride quality and an increase in cornering due to less sidewall flex. Overall I’m very happy with them and wouldn’t go back to stock.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
20’s are a horrible choice and a complete waste of money. 3600-4000
Cons
- stiffen ride
- add noise
- reduce ability to air down safely
- reduced contact patch when aired down.
- reduces bead pressure (issues with lateral forces and or when landing)
- scuff when you hit curb @ starbucks drivethru

Pros
-Maybe lose weight at each corner ( probably very little)
- allow for larger caliper

Every time i see a f150 with 20’s pull up next to me it sounds like shit. Out of balance and loud, clunky.

But hey , if yr into that …. Go for it.

Last edited:

EPHsurgeon

Reaction score
I don’t post much but follow forums pretty regularly. All you are going to get is hate for 20 inch wheels here. I put on put on 20” vr 601 +12 with ridge grappler 35 12.5. I think they are load range F. 40psi. On at 28k and now at 60k miles. I love them and think they ride fantastic and look great. Honestly could not tell difference but maybe have insensitive butt. The only off roading I do is gravel roads and hunting/logging trails in northern maine so can’t comment on rock crawling etc. i say go with what you like. The more negative offset does definitely throw more dirt/mud/slush/salt on the truck if that makes a difference but I have a high tolerance for that kind of stuff

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I know people want to make their truck their own, but doesn't the tile and registration do that? I don't understand buying a brand-new truck and running right out and buying new wheels and tires. I still have on my 2010 Raptor the OEM stock wheels and had the OEM BF's on there for over ten years, but hey that's just me being practical.