GEN 1 Road trip Ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing special, rotated tires and adjusted tire pressure. Used the tire dolly from Harbor Freight again and the more I use this thing the more I like it, saves the back. I also changed the oil and filter, emptied the catch can. Got a five hour road trip planned for saturday.

IMG_6159.JPGIMG_6160.JPGIMG_6163.JPGIMG_6164.JPGIMG_6165.JPG

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could change the fluid in the transfer case. It's pretty easy because unlike the differentials, it actually has a drain plug. The original factory spec fluid is Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid, but Ford has abandoned its proprietary fluid and the modern spec is Mercon LV - 1.6 quarts.

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ruger, you mean this stuff, I don't have any shame, I bought the last six bottles a dealership had, it was a two hour round trip to get.

IMG_6166.JPG

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes sir, @pat247 , that's the stuff. Ford never published the specs for that stuff, so it's Mystery Fluid and there is no way to compare it with the current spec Mercon LV fluid. It isn't even known whether that fluid is synthetic or not. And as far as I know, whether Ford changed to LV because they simply found it economically advantageous to do so or because it's inferior to LV is also unknown. So continuing to use it is a crapshoot, really. You might use it in the power steering system rather than the transfer case just to be safe.