Rigid fog lights wiring install help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MF21

Reaction score
Hey Guys, new member and owner here.

I recently purchased the Rigid Fog light kit (not backlit) and have everything mounted and installed but am stumped at rhe electrical wiring aspect. I am by no means electrically inclined and would greatly appreciate some help to get this wired up properly. I've read about all the other harness that are offered and how much easier it makes it but wanted everyones 2 cents on if its actually needed.

Right now the Rigid kit comes with the (3) wire sets with the plug in for the pods, the 3 wires that is merged at 1 end, the switch (obviously not needed), the black piece with the fuse, and the 2 circle ends where i believe one of them grounds to the frame? Again I apologize for the lack of experience.

If anyone can point me in the right direction with the provided wiring set I would greatly appreciate it as I have looked all over and cant find detailed instructions for beginners. Or if the overall conclusion is to buy an aftermarket harness which will make install easier/more effective Im surely open to that.
Thank you guys!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is know the current draw for each respective pair of lights. For Gen 2, you have 2x 15amp up fitters available on #’s 1 & 2. One switch may not be enough for all 6 lights.

Or you may want them to be selectable. If you run 2 or more pairs on the same circuit, you will probably want to wire in a relay. It’s easier than it sounds.

So, at first, I opted to split up the light pairs per up fitter. Now I have more lights than available up fitters so there’s some ... stacking ;-)

for simplicity, you could grab a close by ground wire, and take each pair’s hot to an up fitter.

If you want to combine lights on to a single up fitter, you should go for a relay. A relay is a fancy switch. you wire ground and power directly from the battery to the relay. There is a ‘trigger’ post, which connects to the up fitter. That will energize the relay ‘coil’ and switch to activate your lights.
basically.
the black piece with the fuse, and the 2 circle ends where i believe one of them grounds to the frame?

maybe your harness already has a relay?

Oh, and Welcome to FRF, pics or you have a prius.
We’ll give you a grace period on the pics but don’t dawdle. I’ve already got your provisional prius pic selected.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you’re an electrical n00b, it may be worth paying a shop to square this away. that said, basically you could separate the wiring among the respective light pairs. Run the earth/ground to a solid chassis or battery ground. Run the respective positive wire pair to an up fitter that will support the amperage required. See the Raptor supplement for assistance.e

You’ll be well served to cut in an inline fuse for each hot wire that you take to the up fitter that is > that your light pair current draw AND >= the up fitter amperage rating.

IF you don’t have harness(es) To complete the wiring, ensure you have good crimps, crimp tool/wire stripper, rubber tape and electrical tape. crimp connectors need to be done properly; crimped correctly, then taped/insulated. Check your connections before you button things up.

again if you decide to wire in 4x lights on 1 up fitter switch, even if the 4 lights will fit on the up fitter, you may well want to wire in a relay.

above is a good enough representation.
87 is battery +
85 is battery -
30 goes to the accessory positive ( the light or harness positive wire )
86 goes to the up fitter power wire.
87a not needed.

^^^^
backstop this guys i don’t have a relay in front of me....

done this way, when you hit the up fitter switch, you energize the relay, it powers 30, which powers the lights.

You may think you won’t want or need more lights.
You will.
IMG_5104.jpg

Big_Clen

Reaction score
update from my end.. I tried messing with supplied rigid harness and really just don't know where I should be cutting, splicing, soldering etc... I am as you said "an electrical noob" lol so to make sure I'm doing this right I opted to order a harness from @Specialtyperformanceparts last night. Once that comes in I'll get these hooked up. Thanks for the info @smurfslayer truck looks mean. Black really is the best color :cool: